hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So I'm in the planning stages of the salt water tank. My gf and I are deciding to start now or wait.. here is the story.

We are getting married in June and plan to buy a house shortly there after.. latest a year-1 1/2 from now.. our apartment we rent now got foreclosed so we are probably moving out in the end of Feb.

There is a 90% we move in Feb and 100% we move by next Feb also.

Is it too much hassle to move a tank 2 times.. and will the live rock/livestock get too stressed and die. The LFS say its not a big deal. Our tank is a 46g bow front so its not anything giant.

I'd like to hear some input.. if people think it's too much hassle I'm going to look for parts I need and put in a freshwater setup till then.

Thanks again!

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
It totaly depends on the size of the tank, obviously the smaller the size the easier it is to move.

If I was moving in four months I would think twice before starting a tank. It takes a couple of weeks to cycle the tank, so your already into december if strated today. Then it can take a couple of months for the tank to start to establish itself.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I moved my tanks 2 times in 2 years. It was a real P.I.T.A for me. Though It is a large system (90 galons + 20 Gallons + 38 Gallons + 29 Gallons).
I'm sure if you moved with a smaller setup it wouldn't be too bad.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
I seriously would think about what size tank you want first. Don't be like me buying a Biocube and then have the reef bug bite you HARD.

Personally, I wouldn't start a major tank... maybe start with a Pico or something with 1 clownfish or do what emmanuel did and buy a fruitbowl =) I would get settled in first see how the new space is and see what tank it can accommodate for decor and space efficiency.

but in all seriousness I firmly believe if space allows, GO BIG OR GO HOME. Less maintenance and you can keep more stuff.

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
we already have a 46g bow front we plan to do.. I don't think it would be a big hassle to move that. Right now that is about as big as I want to go till we get a more perm house.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
46G shouldn't be too bad. I've moved a 30G and 40G breeder (both had a 20L sumps). It was a PITA.

The hardest part was packing and unpacking the rock and live stock. Moving the equipment wasn't that bad.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: