• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Jenna X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
New year, new tank. After trial and error on the first tank I decided to start fresh and have the tank I want (zoa/paly dominated tank). I still have a long way to go but I'm happy to have found this site and that I met some friends along the way. Special shout out to Saltwaterinbrooklyn for all his advice, labor and my fav lights. Another shout out to my other half for putting up with me setting up this tank lol.

About this nano: I purchased a used 14g cube w/ a glass top and stand. I bought cured LR from a LFS, took several lbs from my display tank and about 10+ lbs LR with zoas from a fellow MR reefer. I used Carib Sea fiji pink sand.
I've attached a 1/2" y fitting to the return. A media basket in the rear compartment (mechanical, activated and phosphate sponge). The basket does not fit as it should, so I'll have a diy project but in due time. I will be adding some rubble in the 2nd chamber and chaeto. I have an MP10 for extra flow, set at the lowest setting. There is a 50 watt heater. I will likely get a new skimmer but the coralife biocube skimmer will do for now. The skimmer was up since the first few days of set up. Another thing on my to do list is to make a box concealing the wires.

And for the piece de resistance, an Aqua Illumination AI Nano. It's sweeet, it makes the corals really pop.
I went to the 99c store to get extension cords and found a steel shelf bracket. It's approx. 13.5" x 11.5" height. I used a drill bit 3/8 to drill the top, replaced the round head machine screws w/ hex nuts to secure. The light is roughly 11" above the tank. DIY tank mount cost about $5.00 for the screws, drill bit and shelf bracket.

I've upgraded to a better RODI unit and now have an AWI Typhoon. MR Membership has its perks. I'm still finishing my IO but changing to Red Sea Coral salt.
The salinity is 1.025. Temperature at a stable 77.

Livestock: I have a pair of mated clown fish, 1 scarlet cleaner shrimp, a few hermits, a tiger conch and nassarius snails. I moved some of my corals from the nano I broke down. I didn't have an algae bloom in my 29g biocube, I'm hoping the same for this nano.
Too many corals to list, I have different types of zoos from wwc, pop and MR :) but I'd like to add that the wife acclimated and dipped my chalice while I was out all day, I'm so proud hehe.
Last but not least: I should be getting a bone cutter so I can finally get rid of those plugs.

This is the tank 3 weeks after setup. I plan on taking updated photos but unsure of how far back I can edit the reserved posts.

FTS

SIDE VIEW

Last edited:

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
jenna! yeayyy! your gonna be happy with that tank. :) im glad to see it went to a good home, the set up and rock work is amazing. GREAT JOB! cant wait too see this bad boy all bloomed out with some nice zoas, My girl said thanks for giving it a good home as well and to good use. she loved that tank and im happy you have it now. FOLLOWING>.< :)

Jenna X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
@Thirty6 Thanks, I'll send you a pm. How did you know that the condensation is bothering me? lol I could try the dyi. I was also thinking of drilling two 1/2" holes in the glass top but meh!

@duromega I got you lol

@Robngab, I'm happy with the tank. Hi to Gab ;). I like AIO it makes everything easier. If I had my way though I'd have tonga branches only, but that will happen when I have a bigger tank. I got rid of the frag plugs and cut the zoos to a smaller rock so I can frag them later on. I got lucky with the LR covered in zoos.

Once I get gels from Mike I will post pics from the dslr. I still don't know how to take macro shots. lol

@saltwaterinbrooklyn thanks a mil :) I'm glad I listened to you about the white/pink sand.

Jenna X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
macro shots= Macro lens = 900-1000$

Not necessarily, I guess it depends on how much you want to spend on the lens. Lucky for me my lil bro bought me a Nikon with macro lens. I'm just waiting for him to show me how to use it, if he ever does lol.

I keep forgetting to run the skimmer, it's on most days. I think I'll just have to buy a dual timer to run the lights and skimmer at the same time. I would run the skimmer 24/7 but it keeps overflowing (it's the oceanic biocube skimmer).

Jenna X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I couldn't help myself and have since added more zoos & mushrooms. The utter chaos melted in this tank so I had to throw it back in the other.
PO4 looks like its between 0 - 0.25, No3 is 0. I'm now running the skimmer 12 hours a day.
Mesh screen top is in the works when I get more time. Next update is in 6-9 months, hopefully the zoo rocks is nice and full by then.

20140209_120157_zpsu5bdrm1t.jpg

IMG_3034_zpsmj7tnf0z.jpg

IMG_3357_zpsgwwkl0zg.jpg

IMG_0212_zpsebkzdy14.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: