• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

danager

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So here I go, starting off a new tank and I don't know where to start! Never thought that 8 gallons and 2 years removed from the hobby could drive such a question.

I want to do a reef tank... So what have you done to be successful? Any tips and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks MR!!!
-Danny

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Start by getting some salt water , either make some up or go down to shinnecock inlet and get 8 gallons( that 's where I was getting mine until it got too cold outside) then live rock , then an ammonia source to start a cycle , then a good small HOB filter (if it's not a biocube)... a light... and your done...But not really cause, as long as you have the tank , you're never done LOL...
As far as success with a reef , I think it's all about paying attention to what you're doing and getting into the practice of good husbandry as far as tank maintenance ( water changes , etc ). I always see small tanks with too many fish which bothers me... And usually leads to problems...

I have had many different nano's before going to a large tank and I kinda miss the manageability of the smaller tank.

Last edited:

danager

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Will... Thanks for the advice. I think if like to run this one really clean so in looking for someone that does rodi/ salt mixes to get started. I was looking at possibly grabbing a nano skimmer to start as well.

I'm really taking my time with this build! Lol... I've never done that before! Should be fun!

danager

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So... Here I am, back in action. Pulled some salted water from country critters in ph and added a nutrisea-water to start. 10 lbs Black and white indo pacific reef sand and 11 lbs of live rock (3 rocks). And now we wait!!! Hopefully we clear up soon!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs2014-02-21 22:52:51 EST.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs2014-02-21 22:52:51 EST.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 277
  • ImageUploadedByReefs2014-02-21 22:58:17 EST.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs2014-02-21 22:58:17 EST.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 273

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Just take it slow. Let everything settle, check your parameters daily and let the cycle finish.

I am setting up a 5 gallon and the wait is killing me but unfortunately patience is key in this hobby.

Good luck with the setup. Keep the thread updated with pics.

danager

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got my water tested today for the first time.
1.026 salinity
Nitrates are high - added microbe lift (tank is still new but i might as well be proactive),
PH is low - added a teaspoon of buffer and will check in a few days,
started dosing Seachem fusion 1 and 2 to provide minerals for coral.

Purchased 2 test kits, another thermometer so I can hide the heater, JBJ nanozapp uv sterilizer, hydor koralia 240, aquaticlife internal miniskimmer 115, chemipure and a large fish bagger to make an in tank refugium from drsfosterandsmith.com.

So ready to really get this thing up to par!

anselmo145

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Will, I'm thinking about going to the inlet this Spring and filling up ten 5-gallon water jugs with NSW. Do you think all of the rock salt and de-icer from this winter could compromise the water quality there? I'm mostly concerned about any pollution that accumulates on the Bay side of the inlet. Also, what kind of pump will I need and how much tubing am I going to need? I have an electrical converter in the car and a 100' extension cord. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I get my water right at the inlet , so the water is flushed in and out with every tide and is pretty clean..There is a dock right next to the inlet. Actually , it's the same place that Atlantis Aquarium in Riverhead gets their water. They fill up a big tanker truck from there.
I use (5) 5 gal buckets from HD with water tight lids. My approach is real basic, I just toss a 2 1/2 gal bucket with a small rope attached in and scoop out a couple of gallons at a time. Takes me about 10 minutes to get 25 gal of saltwater. The water is usually good to go as is but when I get home , I put it in a 20 gal Brute container and run it thru some carbon. I even put it thru a UV sterilizer sometimes but not always.
I've been getting my water there for about 10 yrs or maybe more without any problems. But then again I don't have any SPS or anything that I would consider a difficult coral.

Last edited:

danager

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did my first water change after the tank being up for 9 days! Running 0's in ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, phosphates at .25, Ph 8.0. Salinity is 1.0255, kh high at 321, calcium is 500+. I was dosing with seachem reef fusion 1&2 rather early... So precipitated out and stuck the the tank glass... Tough as nails to get off.

I also placed a small wrasse in tank... He is doing well... Hides in the front of the tank!

UV sterilizer is installed with new rio 200 pump... Hydor 240 is moving a ton of water. Purchased an in tank protein skimmer but it didn't work as planned. Will look to another solution.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: