mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello All!

I have been out of the fish keeping hobby for about 10 years and have decided to make a come back!

My last tank was 120 gal freshwater - but I am changing things up and going small and salt.

I have found a Nano Cube 12 gallon on craigslist for $50, which seems like a good price, its only a year old. I will see it in person tomorrow. What are your thoughts on this tank and how is it for someone relatively new. The owner told me maintenance was too much for his busy schedule.

Anyways, I am excited to be a member and look forward to everyones input!!

Mark

Also, if anyone is located in Brooklyn I'd love to get together and talk tanks - could use some expert advice!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
If you are on top of your water changes and your parameters, no reason not to start with a 12G cube. Many will tell you that bad things happen faster in a small tank (and it is true..), so you do need to be vigilant.
Do be sure to allow the tank to complete it's initial cycle before you add any living critters.

What are your plans for the tank?

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Well - I plan on taking things slow like you said and making sure my tank fully cycles... at this point I don't plan on adding any livestock for at least a month if not longer.

I am going to start simple, possibly FOWLR and see how everything progresses. I am a bit concerned about my lights (stock power compact 27 watt) and trying to grow corals etc. I can upgrade to 32 watt, but I may take the leap instead and remove the hood and go with some affordable LEDs...

But like you said, I want to be sure I can maintain stable water parameters and keep fish alive before I "dive into the deep end" :)

I'm getting sand, rubble, filters, and salt water mix tomorrow - oh joy! Never been so excited to put water in a tank!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: