skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks. Quite a few months ago I attempted to put together a database of suitable fish species that can be kept in nanos. I wanted to not only have information on the regularly kept species, not also provide some suggestions of lesser kept fish to help give the nano keeper a little bigger palette to choose from. Well, I never bothered to back up the threads and during Aqualink's last upgrade and server switch they were all deleted. The other day I finally got the motivation together to start this project back up again since I think it would be a pretty valuable resource for both beginner and advanced nano keepers.

Anyway, every week or two I will start a thread with a new fish(the first has already started: the Royal Gramma). Contained will be a list of questions(painless, I assure you) that you can answer based on your experience with the fish. Any additional comments are more than welcome, as well as any photos you may have of your own fish. The more people who participate the better these reports will be. You can add your information here: http://www.aqualinkwebforum.com/ubb/ult ... 4;t=000218

DISCLAIMER: Even though this project is based on another board, it is by no means intended to take traffic away from this one, etc. Being a moderator of the forum over there, it is simply easier for me to keep the info compiled in one location rather than trying to pick and splice info from threads on other boards. With that said, anyone is more than welcome to participate on other threads over there, and I hope the different location doesn't discourage anyone from participating in this report. My intention is to eventually put the information together on a website where all can profit from the information.

I look forward to hearing what you all have to share!

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is a great resource and I would definately use it. For example, I have one LFS owner who says a catalina goby would do well in a nano because of its size and eating requirements. In his experience, the temp preferences (requirements) of the fish do not seem to matter. He states they do fine in 75-80 degree reef temps. However, many others balk at the idea and say they are stricktly cold-water specimens and will die slowly if you keep them in a reef. So, here is an example of conflicting views and a compilation of data like you have mentioned might be a neat way to sort this out. I would also like to be able to read about people's use of cherry-head gobies and other small guys... I dont have much to contribute to a marine/reef fish database but I would certainly like to access one.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and one with corals, too. Now that one I would have some input on... For example, I might rate caulastrea as one of the easiest LPS specimens to work with in a nano/pico, and fox coral (gen/sp?) as one of the harder. And of course, results will vary person-to-person but it would be nice to have a range of responses to pick from when designing a tank.

b429

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see your enthusiasm for the project Brandon. The earlier Nano Report had some good information, and I think this would be pretty beneficial since nanos have become so popular over the last couple of years(I remember when there were only two or three sites dealing with them.)

Anyway, once the fish database is under control, a coral database would be great as well. If you want, e-mail me off the board and we can discuss it a bit more...maybe you can help me come up with a questionaire for corals.

For those of you who need help visualizing what this is all about, here is the site and original project(which is still happening) that inspired the nano report: http://www22.brinkster.com/seafan/default.html

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: