dbales4714

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We bought a Naso tang about a month and a half ago. After its initial stubborness to feed it adapted nicely to the spirulina and flake food we use and took to the main tank like a fish in water.

However, about a week ago my wife reported that the Tang was refusing to eat anything except for nibbling on a few brine shrimp tidbits. I am overseas so unable to view the fish directly but asked her to put it in the QT tank and observe.

She is feeding it brine shrimp soaked in 1/2 tablet Furacyn per the recommendations of our LFS daily and trying to get it to eat seaweed.

It appears hungry, wants to eat, but expels any larger piece of seaweed, etc. that it puts in its mouth. Right now it is only existing, (barely) on the brine which has very little nutritional value, has a somewhat pinched stomach, and will probably die fairly soon if it doesn't get a proper diet.

She has not noticed any stringy matter indicating internal parasites coming from the fish's anus.

Water conditions, temp, and light are ok in the QT tank, 20 gal with a 5 gal daily water change.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Doug

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rdo_welcome.gif

I'm sorry to hear about your tang. I think it's impossible to diagnose the root of the problem. I would try to obtain some sargussum as it is a staple diet of this species. You might also want your wife to try some fresh, puree'd seafood. If the tang is taking brine, it may take other meaty foods at this point - ones that have a lot more nutritional value then enriched brine. Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef frozen cubes may also work.

I still fear it is an internal problem of some sort, either parasites, bacterium, toxins, or genetics. Again, it's hard to figure out exactly what a fish is ailing from if it's internal. I wish you and your fish the best!

dbales4714

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Len for your info. I fear as well it might be something you listed, a tumor, etc. We'll try sargussum and other forms of puree'd seafood as you mentioned and keep the site informed of progress or lack there of.

Doug :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: