• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

2poor2reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the true nature of water movement in a typical sps dominated ecosystem? Is it continuous laminar flow reversed by the tides? Is it constant back and forth movement with a tendency towards one direction based on tidal flow? I lack experience on actual reefs and I suspect my high-energy tank more resembles a washing machine than a natural reef. I hear comments like "you can't have enough water movement when it come to sps" but I can't believe there isn't more to it than that. Especially when sps growth patterns seem to be afftected by water movement.

srbayless

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I don't think there is one type of water movement for reefs, simply because there are so many different types of reefs.

I believe Delbeek and Sprung cover water movement over the different reef types in Vol 1 of the Reef Aquarium.

I don't think you can have too much water movement in a tank. I do believe that the water movement in a tank can be too forceful.

For example, say you want to move 500 gph in a 55. You can use 2 maxijet 1200s and get close to that. Unfortunately the force of those 2 powerheads would be very strong in 2 distinct directions. Most likely, all the corals in the output flow would be "blown away".

Now, you could use 5 maxijet 400s and get 500gph overall. With the 5 powerheads, you have more points of origin of the water movement, plus you don't have the blasting effect that 2 1200s would have.

I have 8 MJ 400s in my 80g, all running off of a Wavemaster pro. I use Y-cable splitters to run 2 pumps off of each "channel" on the wavemaker. I have pumps that are on the same "channel" facing different directions so there is always varying water motions.

Check out Reef Aquariums to get an idea of specific water motions, although it will probably be difficult to duplicate them exactly in a tank.

Good luck,

Scott.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When diving, I notice that flow generally move in a great surging back and forth motion, with a stronger tendancy towards one direction (usually towards land, when I have my bearings right). Flow is not laminar. On reef flats (where I admittedly haven't dived or snorkeled), the water motion seems to be more turbulent and random.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using many small pumps could pose a heat problem,especially after they begin to get clogged and neglected. It would be better to use two large pumps that are split by "T" connectors. Two Maxijet 1200 PHs,both with T-connectors,would create less heat than 4 Maxijet 400s. Plus,less space is used and two PHs are easier to hide than four.

GL

Dan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: