Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm a been bit new to the coral reef and tank hobby as is something my dad likes and decided help with, first and foremost we got a Omega 200i protein skimmer which worked form the first week or so and is now overflowing without skimming, we just added live rock and is still overflowing into the sump making kind like a bubble bath in the sump, our tank has yet to cycle. So first off should I be skimming while its in cycle? And if so how should I stop it from overflowing? It seems to me like its taking in to much air thanks guys.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Welcome to the site, and the hobby

Yes you should leave it off while cycling, or better yet, because skimmers have a break in period, let it run but very low, so the water level isn't hi enough to put skimmate into collection cup.

Could take a week or three to break in, and then dialed in to find the sweet spot to get nice dark brown skimmate. Nother words, not too low to produce nothing, or hi enough that it's just producing slightly dirty water. Trying to dial in before break in is no worky well, and you need to make small changes and give it an hour, maybe even a day to see what it does

The air being restricted will effect the water level inside the skimmer.
The water level inside the sump where the skimmer is sitting needs to be steady/consistent, as well as within range of the recommended water depth for your skimmer.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I would like to post a few photos of my operation so you might get few more details on my current situation, and help guide me in what I might be doing wrong, I just have a feeling something is not right with this skimmer it has three settings closed half open and fully open, on each setting it overflows, e venturi is designed to regulate air intake it dose not seem like its doing that. Thanks.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hmm. You have the air valve on the pump, and the red pole to control flow out of skimmer. What else?
For best results with best and most dark brown stinky skimmate, less water, more bubbles, would first try opening the air valve on pump all the way, and adjust level in skimmer with the red pipe.
Most venturi style skimmers, like yours, the water level will go up when you close the air intake. Is it sitting on steady 7 to 8.5" of water? That red hose that runs down next to the air hose is for ozone. So unless you're running ozone that should be plugged. Vertex makes some nice stuff, and think the problems people have with that and other skimmers is they don't take the time to dial it in properly. It's not as plug and play as some others, but better once you get it dialed.
Note:
Turning the air valve on the pump out closes it, turning it in opens it.
With the red pipe... Closing it will slow down the flow coming out, which will make the level in the skimmer go up. Some people take the top part of the red pipe out so it's wide open.

Any meds in tank? Skimmer in right water depth?

Here's a vid on the 180i
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5J...X3AUy0xMe18z3db10SMzwF0FE183T6fwNlbIfD0tmP2Tg

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot man you have been a ton of help it is no longer overflowing and is no pulling skim out did so all today, your the help I needed. The tank is cleaner already, yet the Ammonia is riseing which I think is normal for its cycle. Tho I do have a question on what kinda of refugium plants should be put in for a reef tank? At this point its mostly homework for down the road, and what other steps should be performed to ensure tank quality?

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You're welcome, glad i could help.
Taking skimmate out before the tank cycles is slowing the cycle. Until the tank fully cycles set the red pipe fully open so you don't collect skimmate. Or if that doesn't make it low enough take off the collection cup so the water spills back into sump.
With the new tank, and your first cycle, many things can cause the ammonia to spike more than once. No worries.
As far as plants...most people go with cheato these days. Cheato does best when tumbling and/or in pretty hi flow. Caulerpa can go sexual and release a toxin into the tank. Is also a bit more aggressive so can spread to the display tank. Have never heard of any type of caulerpa doing either of these things and causing a problem in any tank, ever, so don't believe the hype. I recommend you try a few different kinds and see which one grows the best in your particular set up, and that's the one for you.

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Coupla things worth mentioning to get you off to a good start.
-If you're going to run a refugium set up the light on the fuge now to help minimize any algae that could grow in the display during your new tank phase. Also good idea to run the fuge light for 14 hours at night to help reduce ph swings.
-your return pump, after head pressure, should be returning 4-6x the water that's in your display per hour. So as an example, on a 100 gallon tank, 400-600 gallons per hour going through sump, returning to display. Have found the lower end of that range better, and think this is one of the biggest reasons so many have long term problems that they have to figure ways around to find success. More is not better here.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: