bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Hey guys ,, so I just ran out of my oceanic salt , and need to purchase more. My question is if I change salt mix,, will it have any effects in my tank ,, I saw the sale at the one if the vendors here for the red sea salt ,, what is the beat salt mix available ,, is it worth it to change salt mixs, thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
thanks russ,, why do u personally like esv, what are the pro's and con's that u have come across??

-Dissolves very quickly and 'clean'. No residue in the bottom of the mixing container.
-When mixed to 1.025 the parameters are more consistent and spot on than any other salt I've used.
-It's the only salt we've ever used that permits it to be used as soon as 1/2 hr after mixing.
-Promotes great color and fantastic growth.
-Did I mention consistency from batch to batch? Super consistent.
-The components are all food grade chemicals.
-We find that when using ESV salt we don't need to dose supplemental additives as much.

Hope this helps,
Russ

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I have been using Coralife since "Christ was a kid" and I think its great. It seems as hobbyist as soon as something new comes, it immediately is the best ever. I must have seen 10 miracle salts in the last 15 years. Just my .02 cents

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I use Reef Crystals because its cheap and available.

If you decide to change you can go right into the new salt. If you are only doing regular water changes the percentage you change wont affect the tank that much.

TonyHNY

Back from a break
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I used Reef Crystals and swapped to Instant Ocean. Once I am done with IO, I will probably switch back to Reef Crystals....

I am having trouble disolving IO. It stays cloudy for a while so I had to leave it over night in a 5gal jug....Next thing you know it, I have a thin cake on the bottom of the bottle... I think I would pay 5 bucks more or so to get reef crystals since they are easier to dissolve...

In terms of switch salts...I haven't felt any impact yet...my acans, challace and some SPS are doing well...Perhaps it could take some time before I see anything...

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Really like the ESV salt as well + Jim and Russ are nice guys to deal with. Didn't like reef crystals since it left a brown residue on my pumps and in my mixing container. Additionally as Russ stated it is very consistent and mixes clean and you can use it a half an hour after mixing.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
I'm stuck,, should I stick with oceanic,, or should I switch to esv??? At this point ,, $$$$ is not a factor ,, just making the right choice ???

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I'm stuck,, should I stick with oceanic,, or should I switch to esv??? At this point ,, $$$$ is not a factor ,, just making the right choice ???

Yo littlepuppy :biggrin: , do the right thing for your system and go with ESV. You won't regret it. No need to continue agonizing over this ;)

FYI, when you do small 5%-10% water changes, the overall effect on your system with a new salt is negligible. You should have no problems with a direct change over. Just don't do large water changes right away.

Russ

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Yo littlepuppy :biggrin: , do the right thing for your system and go with ESV. You won't regret it. No need to continue agonizing over this ;)

FYI, when you do small 5%-10% water changes, the overall effect on your system with a new salt is negligible. You should have no problems with a direct change over. Just don't do large water changes right away.

Russ

lol Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
ESV all the way, I've heard zero 'cons' about it, use it myself and LOVE it! :)

The only con that I'm aware of is the fact that it requires mixing the 4 parts. I mention this to every customer so they are always aware of the 'chemistry' part of this hobby. IMO this particular con works out to actually be a pro. The mixing of the 4 parts offers the user total control of almost all their parameters.

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: