nyfynest22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
ok everyone so my 220 has been up and running for over a week, last 3 to 4 days ive got brown hairy stuff on rocks and sand, went out got some turbos there cleaning the rock well. but what about the sand bed? what can i use to get through this annoying depressing cycle?

lefty813

Proud Member & Addict
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Well the sad part is there isnt uch to do now but to sit back and wait. The snails should do a good job and if needed you can get some Cerith Snail's they do a good job and turning sand over and eating algae all over. Also a sand sifting starfish as well will help with the sand bed. Good luck

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What are your parameters at this point - Am, Ni & Na?

Sand sifting stars need established tanks to survive.

..and I agree it might be premature for snails at this point. Take them right out if any are missing and possibly dead.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
You can leave the lights off and snails will be fine in the tank. I have done my tanks for 16 years with no lights and a few snails and even a few crabs to help keep the tank clean and help it to cycle. The brown algae is probably Cynao and it comes with the ammonia spike and then stays with the nitrites. It should die off when the nitrates kick in.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: