willienelson

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tonight i will be switching over my aquatop to a screen and the AI color vega -- i'm excited. i was running the aquatop with 4 stripe -- 2 white 2 royal blue at 65% power i was moving it up as i got some new corals.

any suggestion as to what % power i should start the vega at?

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I had my vega set around 60-80% between all the lights and I torched a bunch of coral in my mini, the only thing that was happy was my birdsnest. When I contacted AI about recommended settings when I first got the light and they said 35% for the tank 6" AWL and they were right. Your not going to want it any higher than 40-50% max on the Midi. I would start off playing with 30% whites, 40 blues, 5-10% green/red with the lights 6-8" above water line. The settings should work for the time being until the corals adjust.

By the way, the Green and Red determine how "white" the light looks. Don't increase the white LED too much to get a more white color, reducing the red/green will make the output whiter.

Last edited:

willienelson

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks a lot tosiek! will def turn them down at least to start. I'm 6" AWL and was setup for 60% light intensity

i've attached a few pics with the new setup. got a nice pic of my wrasse too. the vega is so much better than the aquatop.

Attachments

• DSC_0506.jpg
    DSC_0506.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_0511.jpg
    DSC_0511.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_0533.jpg
    DSC_0533.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_0534.jpg
    DSC_0534.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_0530.jpg
    DSC_0530.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 163

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Yeah, I had my lights set up high and didn't see any bleaching for a good 2 weeks then things started turning white.

Tank looks great. Think about putting a background of some sort on the tank. It really makes the tank pop and cleans up the cords behind it. I painted a 1/8" MDF board with blue/black and the tank looked totally different. And get yourself a better magnet scraper. The one your using sucks. The small mag floats work so much better.

willienelson

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank update

been a long time! i totally redid my rockwork. This time I drilled holes and used acrylic rods.

I got a seaside aquatics cs7 skimmer and gifted away my elos skimmer. it works much better -- at least for me. The elos required constant tuning. been running warner ecobac for over a month now in a reef octopus media reactor. I fit the reactor and the skimmer in by removing the 3 extra chambers in the skimmer. what a pain in the butt! have experienced no cyano bloom. nitrates and phosphates great.

I added some 4 new SPS yesterday. there is a fair amount of room in the back of prominence of the reef. I've got a wellso, a favia, frogspawn and some other stuff back there (well get pics next update after i add the backing). need to get a good pic of my clowns. the are white and black now except for the mouth. it's funny i didnt think the change was that big until i looked at some pics i posted earlier in this thread today.

plans: get a black backing for the tank and manage the vortechs chords better.

Attachments

• DSC_0996.jpg
    DSC_0996.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_0999.jpg
    DSC_0999.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_1002.jpg
    DSC_1002.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_1003.jpg
    DSC_1003.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_1004.jpg
    DSC_1004.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 119

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: