Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm new as of May 2015, and still learning.
1-I have acquired bristle worms, many recommend wrasses, but why, wrasses sleep at night, and worms come out at night. Is there a critter that eats the worms and feeds at night?
2-There are fluorescent nuggets, lime-green and orange, that appear in the sand bed. What are these nuggets?
3-Again, I've acquired a Strawberry Crab, it's bright red with only a few white spots, unlike any pictures I've seen. It's a beautiful crab, but......friend or foe? If he or her just came out of the rock? Is that normal? I dip all coral, but should they go to QT for a week or so? Sorry no pic, only saw the crab for a minute.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 235

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
1- bristle worms are good, they eat stuff and mix up the sand bed. If you have an explosion of their population that's because they have plenty to eat, so probably time to consider cutting back or changing feeding habits.
Even though wrasses sleep at night, they do an awesome job of controlling bristle worms. Many will also eat or torment shrimp, craps, and feather dusters to death.

2- my first guess would be algae, but idk

3- some people quarantine everything before it goes in the tank. It's by far more common for people to do fish only. While corals, rocks, inverts, and the water they come in can carry pests, they can not host them, so the chances are slim. Since the crab is already in there no sense in quarantine, and they can't host anyways. Easy enough to catch a crab so keep an eye on it and see what it does.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
1-

3- some people quarantine everything before it goes in the tank. It's by far more common for people to do fish only. While corals, rocks, inverts, and the water they come in can carry pests, they can not host them, so the chances are slim. Since the crab is already in there no sense in quarantine, and they can't host anyways. Easy enough to catch a crab so keep an eye on it and see what it does.

Ditch the crab, keep the worms.

Don't add creatures unless you want them just to try and control another.

Yes- corals & live rock do / can carry pests.
Mainly sps, but they can ALL carry a form of pest, mainly Nudibranchs. Just keep eye out for.

Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've only seen this bright red crab once, so I'm keeping him for now. The nuggets don't seem to be algae, their firm, but glow under blue lites just as bright as corals.
**** New Critter**** white slug critter, moves very fast, for a slug! I caught this one. It's on bottom of cup. Nudi or something else? It has 2 long antennas, like a shrimp. Any ideas?????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 190

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I've only seen this bright red crab once, so I'm keeping him for now. The nuggets don't seem to be algae, their firm, but glow under blue lites just as bright as corals.
**** New Critter**** white slug critter, moves very fast, for a slug! I caught this one. It's on bottom of cup. Nudi or something else? It has 2 long antennas, like a shrimp. Any ideas?????

Stomatella
Harmless Good cleanup crew
Put him back in

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: