• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Johnsteph10

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
I've got a 120g reef tank that's about 6 weeks old and finished initial cycling. ph 8.3, nitrates <1, nitrite 0, amm. 0, temp 81-82F. Currently about 100lbs of live rock with coralline algae just starting to grow, good size skimmer, canister filter, etc. Plenty of blue legged hermit crabs, nerite snails, turbos, and emerald green crabs so water quality has to be ok for all these inverts to thrive. I then bought 7 1 inch yellow-tailed damsels a couple of days ago. Within hours, I noticed them fighting heavily and subsequently one was torn apart while fighting. The next day, I noticed that 2 more were seriously hurt and died later on that day. The third day, yet another showed up with injuries after fighting and died a couple of hours later. I now have 3, one with 2 missing fins but still alive and kicking, the other 2 are fine. They are eating fine -- in fact, that's about the only time they ignore each other.
Any suggestions as to why? I know that they are supposed to be one of the hardiest fish (that's why i chose them at first). Thanks!

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although IME the yellow-tailed damsels aren't the worst of the lot, most damsels in general are a PITA and are aggressive and quarrelsome amongst each other, and with other fish.

My advice would be to remove them from your reef now, before you start stocking it, as you'll most likely wish you had later. Of course, removing damsels from a large aquarium with lots of live rock will be an adventure...;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are extremly territorial and tend to fight alot no matter what you do. I have had a few die from fighting each other. Remove most of them and leave the most docile few (around three) This way they can establish their territories in the huge tank. Stay away from them if you want a peacful tank. Damsels are sometimes so aggresive they attack fish any times their size and cause uneeded stress on your fish. I had 2 yellow tails and a blue and one of the yellow tails was a big bully and almost killed the blue. I removed him and just keeped the blue and yellow tail.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove them all as they may cause problems for any fish you plan to add in the future.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep small fish like that I would suggest green Chromis. They are similar to damsels in size and shape and they are not aggressive at all.

Johnsteph10

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know, I wanted to start with green chromis but I let my wife choose the starter fish. I knew I had made a mistake when she liked those over the chromis. Crap.
Is there any easy way to catch them besides having to be a trap or dismantling the tank? (as if I didn't already know the answer!).
Last question (at least for today!), besides the chromis, what others are good for a new tank?
Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have tried many different methods of catching damsels. I think most just give up and dismantle the tank. I've heard of people even using a tiny fishing hook with some squid on it. Clowns are a nice fish to start with. Since the tank has cycled you can put almost any type of fish you want in it, just go slowly and don't add too many fish at once.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank bred clowns are really easy to go with as beginner fish. An ytank bred fish are kinda easy to get as starters. Gobies, Psuedo's (which can be aggressive), basslets, and the sort are all pretty easy to care for

gollus

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have damsel fish for the starters. 2 dominoes and one "white stripe". The tank is about 190 gals and about 2/3 live rock, its tall but has a lot of caves, ect. So far the damsels have been doing fine, a little chasing but nothing i would count as aggressive. I will probably want "taimer" fish in the future such as royal grammas or maybe some gobies. Do you still recommend taking out the damsels? Are they going to be that much of a problem or will there be room for the other fish to hide, take a breather, ect?

DOGMAI

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem a while back and I am having the same problem again. As far as i'm concerned damsels are the spawn of saten. I caught mine with these items. One shrimp from the store, some three pound test line and the smallest damn hook you can find. The smallest hook I was able to find was in the form of a treble hook. I just cut off two of the hooks and then tied it on the line. I then put a bite size piece of shrimp on the hook. The first time I tried to catch him it was at night and the lights were off. It was also right after feeding time so he wouldn’t just take it. He kept playing with it. Well the next day when the lights came on I gave it another go. As soon as he saw it he nailed it and I jerked his ass out of the tank. Worked quite well I thought. Just be careful you don’t loose the hook in there. I got mine caught on a rock and the line broke. Before I could do anything my brittle star grabbed it and was curling his leg up to get it to his mouth. I had to reach in and pry it out of his grasp. It is the only way you’re going to get him out of there, besides tearing your tank apart. Just be patient.

Good Luck,
Shane

WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) johnsteph10,
8O just drop a grouper in and let him work things out. then put a shrimp on a gold hook and take him back. :twisted:
damsels are very aggressive,if you're looking for a visual with fish.try the wrasse,tang and dwarf angels.the cost is not to high.
good luck!

wrasser 8)

LuzMarina

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I had to catch my yellow tang and a clown fish in a small 28 gal tank with 40 # live rock. I put in a gallon plastic ziploc bag side ways and opened, then with the other hand I chased him around with the net until he got in the bag. It has been the best method to catch them and pretty quick.

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WRASSER":30926jb4 said:
:) johnsteph10,
8O just drop a grouper in and let him work things out. then put a shrimp on a gold hook and take him back. :twisted:
damsels are very aggressive,if you're looking for a visual with fish.try the wrasse,tang and dwarf angels.the cost is not to high.
good luck!

wrasser 8)

Yeah, I agree. You can also barrow someones lionfish for a day or two.
He'll have damsel sushi for sure! :D

Johnsteph10

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL!
Here's a quick update -- my original 7 damsels have now thinned themselves down to 3. And those 3 are working pretty hard to make sure they won't survive either.

I think they'd attack me if I looked like a yummy food pellet.

John

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: