Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started this hobby back in 2010 but due to a plethora of reasons my tank failed and I've decided to get back into the hobby as I've missed it for a long time. I'm trying to decide what size tank I want.. What kind of sumps.. Lighting everything.

I don't have alot of room for a sump.. A small crevice with maybe 8-10 inches width.. Enough to just fit a standard 10 gallon tank but alot of room for height. The tank will need to sit on a dresser in my bedroom as my space is limited. I'm a bit worried about weight.. Its a small room and between my desk, computer, dresser, tv, bed, etc its alot of weight. We kind of concluded that a 55 gallon would be just about okay as a 75 gallon would really be pushing it. I'm not sure if I should go with a standard petco 55 gallon (as I've heard some bad things about them) or is there a specific brand? I was looking in the market place for maybe someone selling an all in one system so I can get everything used all at the same time but haven't found anything quite yet. I'd like to spend less then a thousand if possible although I don't want go to cheap on lighting. I want to have hard and soft corals in my tank so I want a nice set of lighting that can handle all those corals and definitively some moonglow stuff for nighttime. I've heard alot of mixed review about T5's so I'd prefer MH's or LED's. Definitely need help getting a modest build.. whether used or new merchandise I would appreciate guidance. For the sump I was thinking of getting a 10 gallon and custom making a sump (I have no idea how to do this though) with a small refugium, live rock, skimmer, and a bulk reef supply dual reactor running GFO and Carbon.. Optionally I would put a Chiller and UV but thats pushing it with keeping the build modest.

Anyway, Thanks guys.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Wow that's a lot to ask of a ten gal sump but making a sump is fairly easy an inexpensive , I made a step by step layout thread for making a basic sump so look it up and see if it helps . This sump is the end result for my newly acquired 57 rimless tank .

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1336158672.314329.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1336158672.314329.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 168

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If you would consider an all in one you can go with the Red Sea Max systems- they have a 34 gallon, a 66 gallon and a bunch of bigger ones. This way it comes with a good filtration system, protein skimmer, good lighting for the tank and is only 1 plug to have.

I have the 66 gallon and love it.
Heres the thread on it from start to up to this point:

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/119970-jimmyr1riders-new-rsm250-thread.html

Good luck and welcome back to the hobby, hopefully you'll have better luck this time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's a lot to ask of a ten gal sump but making a sump is fairly easy an inexpensive , I made a step by step layout thread for making a basic sump so look it up and see if it helps . This sump is the end result for my newly acquired 57 rimless tank .

What exact type of tank is that? That would be the perfect size. What exactly are you going to be doing with the tank? If I could have a nice breakdown of what you are doing to that setup I'd like to get something similar as it is the exact size / look I'm probably going to go for.

If you would consider an all in one you can go with the Red Sea Max systems- they have a 34 gallon, a 66 gallon and a bunch of bigger ones. This way it comes with a good filtration system, protein skimmer, good lighting for the tank and is only 1 plug to have.

I have the 66 gallon and love it.
Heres the thread on it from start to up to this point:

Good luck and welcome back to the hobby, hopefully you'll have better luck this time.

I love the RSM 250 but I just don't have the room for the stand thats why I wouldn't go with an all in one system as the sump will need to be perfectly fitted in a certain area and most likely a DIY job.

Last edited:

wschang812

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
^+1, I have a hang-on refugium and it works well. pods get into the tank without getting cutup by the impeller, since it works with gravity. A bit pricey, but I like it. I have a Ecosystem 60 hang-on and in back of that, I have a CPR hang-on attached to the Ecosystem.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^+1, I have a hang-on refugium and it works well. pods get into the tank without getting cutup by the impeller, since it works with gravity. A bit pricey, but I like it. I have a Ecosystem 60 hang-on and in back of that, I have a CPR hang-on attached to the Ecosystem.

And thats all I'd need on like a 57 gallon rimless tank for filtration? Is the protein skimmer actually good though? Can I see what your tank looks like with it on?

I also might not have enough space in back of the tank to actually fit the Refuge I'd need to do some measuring

Last edited:

wschang812

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
i also have a aqua c remora hangon skimmer. double fuge and double skimmer. might be overkill, but I think it's pretty efficient.
img_1204.jpg
my tank is a 46 gallon bowfront

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: