A

Anonymous

Fellow reefkeepers,

Mandarin.jpg

I am pleased to announce that after a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and a TREMENDOUS amount of cooperation, a second mandarin survey has now been released at www.reefs.org

Things have changed so much in the husbandry of reef aquaria since the first mandarin survey, that we feel a new one is in order. If you'll remember, we had a thread on the board a few months ago brainstorming the survey questions, ideas, etc. This is intended both as a follow-up to the original survey by Nathan Cope (which can be seen at http://ozreef.org/reference/mandarin_survey.html) and a attempt to gather previously unrecorded observations about the keeping of mandarin dragonets. We ask that anyone who has ever kept one of these stunning fish record their experience(s) by taking the survey, which can be found at:

http://www.reefs.org/survey/mandarin.html

Here are the instructions from that page, please read them carefully, as this survey requires some effort, and perhaps even some research on your part. We believe it is worth it though!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Instructions

Please fill out one survey for every S. splendidus or S. picutratus that you have ever had in your possesion, whether it is still alive or not.

Please do not be embarrassed to report the loss of a fish. Doing so will only prevent us from learning possible causes for its loss, which may be avoided in the future because of your contribution.

Read the survey carefully before completing it- once a survey is submitted, the results cannot be modified or withdrawn.

Please be as accurate as possible. You may need to do some minor research (i.e. calling your fish shop) before answering some of the questions.

Please take the time to answer all questions so that the results attained are as complete as possible.

Please select the response to each question that applies. Choose the "Not Applicable" or "Don't Know" choices where they apply to your situation- remember, no information is better than misinformation.

When the survey is completed press the submit button at the bottom of the page.
Thank you for your help and happy reefing!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a chance to give something back to the hobby everyone - your assistance is greatly appreciated!

James Wiseman

------------------
Reefs.org Channel Operator

[This message has been edited by jamesw (edited 10 January 2001).]

A

Anonymous

James,

Does LFS data count since I treated my systems as I would a home aquarium? I guess I had them in 2 or 3 33 gals with a 900 gal refugia heh. I had 7 that were sent to me as "fill" and wouldn't sell them to folks with undersized or underdeveloped systems.

I do remember each of them as I spent a lot of time with them. They deserve to be memorialized some how.
frown.gif

I didn't want to open up survey scrutiny and skewer data as I know what difficulty it was to set this up again. 7 out of a 100 or even 200 is statistically significant and if that wasn't what you wanted.. I didn't want the whole thing thrown out.
smile.gif

Todd

[This message has been edited by farmertodd (edited 11 January 2001).]

A

Anonymous

Todd,

This survey was really designed for hobbiests. However, if your fish were treated like they would be treated by a hobbiest, then try to enter them.

Cheers
James

------------------
Reefs.org Channel Operator

A

Anonymous

Well, as good as any hobbiest could care for them in an *undersized* aquarium outside of *manually* adding 100 'pods per day.
wink.gif

Todd

A

Anonymous

Just sent in my two responses.
Quick note; The picture of the Acol flatworms is (on my computer screen anyway) too undefined.
Since I had to send in one response for a dead one and another for a live one, I took a quick look at the results and came up with a unscientific thought; DSB=live mandarine and "dissapered"= died of starvation behind rock ork and consumed by cleanup crew.
FWIW, Boris.

A

Anonymous

My only worry is that there are several of us who are not target feeding our mandarin and our feeding is included just the same as someone who is trying to target feed theirs. I checked the box that I feed frozen adult brine but that it wasn't accepted but I have never really tried to get the mandarin to eat it, I just have never seen him eat any food added to the tank. I don't know if I filled that out wrong or not. Maybe that section should be for those who attempted to get their mandarin to eat prepared foods although I guess some others might just look in one day and see their mandarin chowing down on some formula I or something.
Oh well, good luck on the survey.
Nathan

------------------
Always get a second opinion (and a 3rd, 4th, etc...)
Check out my new homepage padens.homepage.com

A

Anonymous

I like the fact that you put the 'flat worm' section in the survey. My tank has had a problem with them for some time. I believe this is the only reason I have been able to keep the mandrin in a 29 gallon tank. I purposely bought him to combat the problem.

------------------

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: