Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been testing my saltwater with a master test kit. My high range pH level is higher 7.4, my ammonia is 2.0, my nitrate is 10, and my nitrite is 5.0. my tank has yet to Cycles so this is the cycle procedure, I was wondering if these are normal at this stage, furthermore when I do a water change its said that you should change 25% so I have 125 gallons tank that would be 31.25 gallons is this right or should I change less? also I'm experiencing large amounts of brown algae, golden brown in color is this normal and what should I do about it once the tank as soon as cycling.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Yes, at this point your reading are what should be during the cycle. I wouldn't run the lights during the cycling period, as all you're going to get in bad types of algae growth, which you currently are getting. The whole point of the water change at the end of the cycle is to bring the nitrates down, and you may need to do a number of water changes to accomplish this. So don't get caught up in the amount, just do 25% and then test again and then do another until you get the nitrates down.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKu-8UWKf40

Generally, by the time nitrates go up your ammonia is down, so weird. Give it some more time. Bacteria that grows should keep ammonia and nitrites down. We do water changes to lower nitrates, and phosphates.. Once ammonia and nitrites come down your cycle is complete, and until your nitrates get up above 10-15 ppm you don't need a water change.

The brown stuff is cyanobacteria. Many new tanks have a cyano stage, followed by a red slime stage, followed by a green hair algae stage. A clean up crew and good flow within the tank will help with these things.

Tank water volume plus sump is total. So in that tank it's less than 125 because of rocks, sand, etc. Then guestimate, measure, calculate, whatever, how much is in sump. Most people do 10% every 2 weeks, or 20% every month, unless there's some special situation like very hi nitrates, phosphates, or if there is a lot of coral and stuff in the tank that's consuming trace elements.

Frankie_Marble

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Solid advice from your fellow reefers. What did u use to start off your cycle & how long has it been? Also, what kind of media are u running in your sump? Ime I've just used a sponge for the cycle & added skimmer, carbon, & whatever other stuff after your first water change. Good luck

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
oh, your ph should be higher. Once you see your ammonia and nitrate levels come down and level off, turn on your skimmer. The bubbles will help raise ph. So will flow at the water's surface. If after a coupla days your ph doesn't go up to around 8, you should add ph buffer, or baking soda, or if you're ready for corals check alkaline levels and adjust them first. Alkaline and ph work hand in hand. Alk goes up, ph goes up. Light also effects ph. In the morning before the light come on ph will be at it's lowest, unless you run your fuge light at night to compensate.

To save yourself trouble you should be using rodi water for your tank.

Even thou you have no livestock yet, you should be feeding your tank every day or two to keep the bacteria that grew to consume nutrients during your cycle from dying back.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: