seanperry

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, our tank (it's a family project) has been up and running for about 3 months now. Been through all the normal cycling, and is doing well (happy fish, no deaths). All parameters I'm testing are fine (0 Am - 0 Nitrites - 0 Nitrates - 1.022 SG).

My question is about my filtration system. My current setup is a 75G Acrylic tank with an average 3" deep sandbed (live sand - really alive, I've seen the corepods and the nitrogen bubbles) and about 80 lbs of live rock. The overflow dumps into a 15G sump where it flows over filter fabric, onto bioballs through the baffles into a AquaC EV-150 skimmer and eventually into a RIO-3100 return pump.

The reason for the confusion is that we started with just the sump and bioballs and only recently added the skimmer. The skimmer has been running for about 3 weeks now, but hasn't been kicking out much skimmate. When it does it's very light. My guess is that most of the "gunk" is getting trapped in the mechnical filters.

Everything I've read says to dump the filter fabric and bio-balls, but with all the readings looking good, I'm cautious about making changes.

The bioload is pretty light. Current inhabitants include:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>mated pair of clownfish<LI>2 (black and white) Damsels<LI>Yellow Tang<LI>Dragon Goby<LI>5 red-leg crabs, 10 blue-leg crabs, 5 snails<LI>xenia, flower pot coral, maroon anenome</UL>

Open to suggestions, I just want to make sure I'm not headed for a crash.

Thanks in advance!

Neal358

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also have about the same set up if you change about 10% of the water each week yiu wont have trobel with nitrates mine stay around 10-15ppm and everything is good i wouldnt consider you bio-load hevy but your skimmer should realy be going yuor setup looks good just check out the skimmer and see what the problem may be

ps nice to see that you have a new tank and havent lost a thing keep up the good work

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can ween the system off of the mechanical filtration and bioballs, a reef tank will, in general, be better off. If you take them out a little at a time, you probably won't see any effect on your chemistry.

I recommend doing that. It'll help with your nitrates in the future.

Ty

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: