anen

Rookie Extraordinare
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Hi all,
I have been lurking for a while but am about to set up my first tank, a 40 breeder this weekend. I was originally supposed to set up a tank about 8 months ago, but have been delayed for different reasons.

During this time I have been curing live rock for over six months. Along the way I purchased a bunch of frags. Everything was doing great for quite some time. At some point which I cannot remember, many of my zoas started to suffer. They look like they have white spots, and they have all been disappearing. Some frags used to completely cover the frag plugs, but now it looks like there are empty spots right down to the agrocrete, like they are almost receding.

When I turn the lights on in the morning, I can see little what I'm guessing are pods running all over them. I'm not sure if they're eating them or what not. When I turn the lights on, I also see several very fast moving white colored things fly down into the bottom of the rubbermaid container under the rock. I have no idea what they are and they are moving too fast to get a look at them. I also have slugs; I have no idea where these came from or if they are good or bad.

I have a couple of soft corals, that seem to be doing just fine.

I am concerned about using the rock to when I set my tank up. Does this sound like I have a bad pest problem? Would it be best to boil the rock and start the cycle over?

I would hate to do that if I don't have to, there's plenty of life on these rocks now. I have all these different snails that I never purchased, starfish that I don't know the origin of either.

Your input is appreciated.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Much of what you are describing are pods (various types) and they are all fine and won't harm your corals and are very beneficial for your tank.

The white spots on the zoas could be a different story. Is there any chance you can post a pic of them?

Also a pic of the slugs you are mentioning so we identify those as well.

I highly doubt you will need to boil your rock and start over, any pests you might have can usually be addressed by dipping the corals :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: