acolaojr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
High everyone have two fairly new tanks one RSM 130 D about 3 months old and a 125 gallon about 2 months old. I have a couple of problems first I think my RSM is over loaded I have 2 clownfish 1 firefish 1 royal gramma and 1 six line. with maybe 6 hermits and 12 snails and 1 sea urchin. I also have a torch a frog spawn 2 zoas and GSP. I just recently added the urchin and now my frog spawn and torch are not doing so hot. Whats up????

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
The RSM don't seem to be overloaded
But you need to post some more info about your system like whats your water parameters ( ammonia, nitrite,nitrite , calk, mag,alk,phosphate ,are you using rodi water ,equipment on the tank,ect.) before we can help

acolaojr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Amonia is between 0 and .25 which was def 0 before I added the urchin, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, dkh 9.4, calcium 450, mag 1400, ph 8.2 need to stop being lazy and test for phosphates last I tested it was in the .08 range.
I had a lot of snails in the tank as well just moved about 8 of them to the 125 gallon to try and reduce bioload. I have a major algea issue I have been doing 15% water changes once a week since the tank cycled but no help with the algea. feed a small pinch of food every other day.
Equipment- I have the tunze 9002 protien skimmer, stock lighting, intank media rack with chemipure elite and purgien
I'm thinking its the amonia its not 0 but its not .25 on the api test kit.

drej424

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
What is your water change schedule? Is the salinity level on target? Did you add a lot of livestock at one time? As kres said, that bio load should be fine for your tank. What's happening with your frog spawn and torch that has you worried?

acolaojr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
ImageUploadedByReefs1367699873.074650.jpg

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
It used to be a live head of that coral. Thta's how it looks when it dies, just the skelaton is left.
How long has the tank been running before you added everything and how much time between adding the different fish and corals?

acolaojr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Right above the dead head there is something with a mouth almost looks like a clear clam. About the size of a nickel. I'm noticing a lot of algae on it today. I waited until I went through the usual spikes in ammonia nitrite nitrate then they all went to zero except nitrates where at 5 water changes brought that down. etc. added the two clowns and a mushroom and a zoa about 3 weeks in. Waited 2 to 3 weeks and added royal gramma wated another week and a half and added firefish frogspawn and torch and I started the tank in mid January. About two weeks ago I added the six line.

drej424

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
How do your corals look today? Do you have any friends in the hobby with more mature tanks who could hold them for you for awhile to give your tank more time to mature?

drej424

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I really can't think of anything else you can do that you're not already doing. I hope your corals make it. It seems like youre really dedicated to providing your livestock with a healthy environment.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Are you using Ro/di water or tap?

Where did you get the rocks from?

What lighting is on the tank and how long do you run it daily?

I'm nearby ..if I need to, I can come by and take a look :)

acolaojr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Stock t5 for the Red Sea max 130d plug and play people have successfully grown sps, clams etc with them. I think I might have a flatworm problem and also have seen some nudi branches I know that's not how you spell it but I think you get the point. I dipped corrals and they are doing slightly better. I have FWE on the way.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: