Happy Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey guys, i recently set up my 65 gallon tank and its about 2 months old and ive had in 2 clownfish for about a month and theyre doing fine ive had 4 chromis for 2 weeks which are also are doing fine and i just added a small yellow tang. i was curious to see if i can add more fish? im looking to do reef eventually. however im in no rush. just looking for any fish suggestions

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
No. When you add a fish you need to let the bio filtration catch up to the new bioload. A safe and general rule is 1 fish added per month.

Just a quick heads up, people are gonna tell you this as the thread goes on, tangs should be kept in 75G or more. They do best with at least 4ft., preferably 6ft in length to swim in. You can probably get away with a 65G for the tang, but if he ever looks like he's a bit too big for the 65 think of rehoming him.

The whole thing of slow additions to the tank is helped if you quarantine which we should all do but a lot don't. If you buy your next fish after the addition of your last and Qt him, for the suggested 6+ weeks as soon as he's proven to be disease free you're tank is ready for him to be added.

Good luck, welcome to MR and the hobby.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
My last post was as to adding more now, you can add a couple more in the long run but I would stay under 10 fish for a 65 all depends on their size also.

You can definately add lets say a couple of firefish, maybe a blenny sized fish and a gobie/pistol shrimp pair maybe if you like that pair. Also inverterbrate you can have a bunch as well with whatever fish you have in there. Some cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, pretty much whatever inverts you want.

It also depends on your level of filtration and husbandry. If you really keep up on your water changes and you have heavy filtration set up all plays part in how stocked your tank can be.

Last edited:

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
[PDF OVERLAY][/PDF OVERLAY] When you add a fish you need to let the bio filtration catch up to the new bioload.A safe and general rule is 1 fish added per month.[PDF OVERLAY][/PDF OVERLAY]
Tell this to guys on Pranked, Tanked whatever it's call....

felix tesler

Experienced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
what your also forgeting to tell him is that if he is going to set up a reef in the long run he should get reef safe fish i have a 54 corner with a yellow tang hippo tang and yellow eye cole tank they all get along just fine you should get the fish when its small and let it grow if it out grows your tank then take him out and get a small one again

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I was just saying to my mother today when she asked about the show that they should do a show without those guys knowing called

T.F.U.--Tanked Followed Up.

Go to all the owners of the tanks at a later time and interview them on how many of the fish got sick and/or died and air it to let the public see what the hobby is really like and what happens when you do that stuff they do.

May stop all the people that think about just jumping into it like that from following their lead.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I think you'll be fine. Just watch your skimmer, you'll see the skimmate darken more as you add livestock, the skimmate will have a lot more waste the skimmers pulling out of it. As long as you keep up with water changes and have a good skimmer see how it goes, especially if you have no adverse effects show up in the tank:)

But I would maybe take a break for a bit and let everything be, but hey it's your tank that's up to you.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: