itsaNYthing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Going to set up my 120, after months of delay lol. I'm a newbie at plumbing and wanted to share my idea to get your guys critism. I have 2 drains and the way my sump is setup the return is in the middle. I'm gona do a T at the bulkheads and cap and drill a small hole ontop to quiet it down. From the T I plan on putting a ball valve to cut off flow when I need to. And from there put a reducer so I can run flex tubing right down to the skimmer area into a filter sock. The other drain I plan on putting directly into my fuge area. Anything I should revise or any tips? If anyone can post pics of there sump/plumbing set up I would greatly appreciate it.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
i am no plumbing expert, matter of fact i just caused a small flood in my basement swapping sumps out. Anyway, careful with the flow into the fuge. if you have it set up to drain rt into the fuge without restricting the flow it will more than likely be too much flow

itsaNYthing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i am no plumbing expert, matter of fact i just caused a small flood in my basement swapping sumps out. Anyway, careful with the flow into the fuge. if you have it set up to drain rt into the fuge without restricting the flow it will more than likely be too much flow

How should I restrict the flow? Imnusing a elbow into the strainer. If I play with that. Would that work? Or what's the best route.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
You want your ball valve to be on your return. You gate back your return pump to reduce or increase tank water turnover rate. I wouldn't reduce your drain. It's plumbed with the correct sized drains. I would put thread to thread bulkheads so you can screw and unscrew the drains if the need ever arises.

I also wouldn't put a drain directly to your fuge- you want to keep as little disturbances in there as possible. You would have to gate back you drain 90% of the way to not have any turbulance in the fuge.

Design the sump if you can to where the drains go into on chamber then the water goes over a baffle that's rather tall to where the fuge is, through a bubble trap and finally to your return chamber.

Also if you can it's best to give your fuge water before it goes to your skimmer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: