LavaToad

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I pulled out my old API test kit since I haven't tested my water in a while and I got a 7.4 pH. I also tested a bucket of saltwater I made up and let sit for 24 hours which also came out as 7.4 pH. I'm thinking maybe the kit expired although I don't see any expiration date on it *kit is 3 years old). When you make new water is it usually at the right pH or does it come out near the 7~range? I'm using Instant Ocean salt also.

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
its most likley the kit its definitely expired they last about 16 -24 months and API is so unreliable anyways. Depending on what salt you use after 24 hours you could see a drop in ph because the new water is not under lighting so could be that too but seeing you got the same exact number its probably all fine and the test kit is wrong. I would double check with a new test kit though but that's just me.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Tagging along since I recently discovered a low pH issue and I'm trying to discover the cause and how to stabilize it.
I never tested the pH for my new water. I only test newly mixed water for phosphates. I recently installed an Apex and set it up to send me email alerts for low pH values. I noticed that after a water change my pH drops by over a point and then gradually rise over the next week. I would have never discover this because I usually test every 2 weeks prior to a water change.
I'm using the regular IO salt and plan on switching to the reef crystals after I finish current box.
I read that I can't battle the pH directly but work on alk?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: