Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
I should be getting the nikon d3100 next month.
I wanted to know what type of lens should I use for up close pics??????
And if anybody know the setting I should put the camera on so it can take pics thru actinic and blue light?????

Fix Your Fin Or Get Your Fin Fixed!

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
4a5ae6d9-1d75-3a9d.jpg

And here she is thanks to my kids :)
Now maybe I'll be ready to take pics by next year,lol

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
this is what my friend who is a proffesional photographer told me when i asked him about getting a macro lense. he said pretty all the one's available unless your willing to drop around a grand for one , there isnt much differance, said would be better to take a class on the camera to really learn it or buy the dumbies book for it, and get photo shop, said i could do photo's as good as the best lense, just by knowing how to really use the camera

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
you have to get a top down photo box if you really want detailed photos
http://www.melevsreef.com/topdown.html

i use this for my macro shots you can get them cheap but the cheap ones doesn't auto focus it's called (extension tubes)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300549900590&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

here's how it works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpC9PxsAL1o

Thanks guys .....I might go with this idea ......I will also do lots of reading since this is my first camera of any type lolz

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Also you might want to shop around i wouldn't advise you to buy from this particular guy only because he has 30 negatives for one month..................

Ohh......I'm going to get the book first then when I'm done reading that I might give the changing of the lens a taught. This just might be a new hobby for me ;-)

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Actually you will be able to do fine with a kit lens. Unless you are looking to blow up a zoa to a HUGE photo.

You will need to learn how to shoot manual. You will most likely shoot at a high ISO in oder to shoot at low light and have shutter speed high enough to stop any motion blur. I would say to get a decent lense with a single aperature setting. That will allow you to turn down th aperature to say 2.8 or lower. This will give a nice blur to backgrounds and what you focus on will be crystal clear. The more open the aperature (lower number) the better it is in low light but anything outside the focus gets blurred. The more closed the aperature (higher number ie... 7.1) the more of the image that will be in focus but not as good for low light.

I personally shoot Canon. But the operation is all the same.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: