Rating - 100%
90   0   0
ive read a lot of good things about that tamron 90 whats ur opinion of it? id rather stick to nikon glass but its hard not to consider that tamron based on all the good ive read about it.

I wanted the Nikon glass originally but I couldn't afford it. Tamron is a great, sharp lens, but it's not built like a Nikon tank. If you plan to use it in extreme conditions, then I would invest in Nikon. The thing with macro lenses is that all major manufacturers have excellent optics, because that's what macro imaging require. Macro lens is a highly sophisticated piece of equipment (Tamron 90mm has 14 lens elements in 11 groups) hence it's price tag. Just FIY, all macro images on my site and in my articles (links in signature) were taken with Tamron 90mm lens on a Nikon D90/D7000 bodies.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Has anyone used the Nikon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-D? I know its an older lens but there are some great deals on this used.

That lens I'm sure can do the trick, but what are you really looking to end up doing with it? Throw in $50-75 and you can get an 18-105mm with VR... which you can usually find on CL. Which will give you a wider shot and still provide you with decent magnification. VR does come in very handy as well when not using a tripod.

GeriDoc

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research the lens before you buy it. In fact, there are places online that you can rent a lens to try it out before you buy it. I bought the AF-S Micro Nikkor 1:3.5G lens hoping to take really cool shots inside my aquarium. I find that the micro lenses have a very thin/fine field of view, meaning that you lose depth in your focal capabilities. For example, I can get great photos of something like a gold coin looking straight down on it, but if I try to focus on a large coral in a tank, I am only able to focus on a very small part of the coral (like the front of it) and the rest of the coral is out of focus (blurry). Keep in mind that I'm only an amateur with my D40, but I thought it was worth mentioning this before you drop big money a lens that you may wind up being disappointed in. BTW: I get better tank shout with a standard zoom lens, like a 18-.
This is not really true. If you take a full frame photo with a 40 mm and again with an 85 mm, both at the same aperture, and then crop the 40 mm image to match the one you got with the 85 mm, the apparent depth of field will be the same in both images. I prefer the 85 mm because it allows me to set up on a tripod and get close ups (not 1:1, but pretty close anyway) of fish at the rear of my 220 display without needing an underwater camera.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: