CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
My wife wants a nikon D90 for her bday.
the problem is I know nothing about photography.
I know the body is generally sold without the lens, But what lens can I buy that will allow her to shoot normal pictures(kids, dog, etc) and also macro shots
I just a little confused.

Thanks James

ireefny

Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
a good all arround lens is the 18-200mm f3.5, you can take this on vacation & is usable 80% of the time, a nice 50mm prime lens is also a good idea & ofcourse a Micro lens maybe a 105mm, these are not cheap pieces of glass so go to a nice shop & shoot tith it first, also remeber that you will want to get a tripod once you get into macro shooting

Reef Reaper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
Did she actually hold all these cameras in her hand? I purchased the Nikon D40x instead of the Canon Rebel or the higher Nikon, because I like the feel in my hand. Also the bigger the zoom lens, the heavy the camera. Make sure as a travel camera, that the lens you choose , done make the camera too bulky! Good Luck!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
a good all arround lens is the 18-200mm f3.5, you can take this on vacation & is usable 80% of the time, a nice 50mm prime lens is also a good idea & ofcourse a Micro lens maybe a 105mm, these are not cheap pieces of glass so go to a nice shop & shoot tith it first, also remeber that you will want to get a tripod once you get into macro shooting

That is good advice for someone who is passionately interested in photography.

however

it is a large monetary investment for someone who really wants something fun and easy. I travel with four different lenses for different occasions because I want to be able to get the best possible shot I can get. But I purchased those lenses one and a time as my interest and love of photography progressed. For someone who might only ever have an occasional, hobby interest in taking photographs ( the kiddies, pets, vacations) I think that kind of monetary investment is a little extreme (unless you have a lot of disposable income. In which case, go right ahead).

Most digital SLRs do come as kits with a lens. That might be the easiest and cheapest way for you to go. If you are going with someone with a kit lens, a 28-80mm will do the job, or an 18-55mm. Those aren't fancy but are perfectly serviceable for a beginner.

I am assuming your wife is a beginner, or she would have requested a specific lens. :) If you want to go with something fancier, a 17-200mm is nice. I shoot most often with the 17-250mm tamron lens, but that will set you back about $500. I also have (in order purchased) a 17-35mm wide angle (I think I paid $300 for this), a 100mm macro ($600, I think), lensbaby swing lens ($150).

Whatever lens you decide to get, make sure you get a UV filter for it to protect it from scratches. This is extremely important.

ireefny

Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
buy it once ! just like our hobby you will spend more in the end if you skimp now. again, some shops let you take the lens to shoot with.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: