Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
That was my mistake 6 months ago, thank god for credit cards ( this tank is making me broke, my wife wants to kill me) I ordered a RO/DI today, my wife dose not know yet:shhh: but she will get the pack from UPS:shocked1:
So now when I get my RO/DI I guess I need to do more water changes to get all the Phosphate & bad crap out?
I have to say that my fish look healthy & I have 3 corals that are just growing, but I know that my Phosphate & Nitrate are high & I do have a algae problem.

I do have a skimmer, MegaFlow4 sump (its BIG) /refugim & a NextReef reactor with carbon & phosban all by seacam. I hope with the RO/DI now ill be good now.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Since money is tight, and I know what you mean by that, since I am building a new tank. You may want to try to find a used Phosban Reactor. Phospate sponges will work, but IMO the reactor is the better way to go.

If the phosphates did in fact get soaked into your rock, it may take time for them too leech back out. While water changes will help, removing them with other means may help much more.

Think of how many water changes that you would plan to make (to try to get rid of the phospates) and how much salt will cost. If you run a reactor you could probably stay on your regular water change schedule.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi, my rocks also stewed in tap water for many years before I purchased my ro/di. With dumping the original sand regular weekly w/c, running gfo in a reactor I had managed to knock the P04 down to somewhere in 1.50 something ppms in a few months. Then I neglected the tank a bit, and of course the phosphates started to climb again.:( But got back on track. GFO along with regular water changes will do the trick, just got to be patient. Two nights ago my P04 were .28, last night after changing out my gfo the night before they dropped to .12.;) So you see, just be a little patient and stay the course you will succeed.
Check out this water change calculator.
http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/rodi-calc

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I guess its all coming from the tap water, & the phosban just cant keep up

Most likely... Plus what is probably leeching from your rock.

Get the RO up and running. That is the most important thing in the world IMO. Even water changes at this point will not do much for you. Once you get the RO running. Then make sure you have fresh phosban, and then start your water changes. Time and Patience is the key.

GOOD LUCK!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: