jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
HI, just want to ask if black sand is recommended for reef. I have black sand and would really like to use them but want to know if it will be bad for corals cuz black color only absorb light, not reflect it.

and the black sand I have is 2mm in size, is it too big for gobies and inverts?

thanks.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
It will be fine. It might clump and show dirt after a while but keep it well stirred. Some people prefer black sand because it can make the colors pop a bit more.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I was in the same boat as you and wanted black sand. I have all black fixtures on my tank and wanted to really get stuff to pop. But after researching it, i decided that it would have been a total mistake. You would be spending way too much time trying to sift out little pieces of food or detritus or pieces of rock that chip.

Just make sure you make yourself an informed decision, because sand is not something that can be easily changed...

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Just drained and restarted the 300gal reef at Fauna using the black aragonite and it's awesome. The aragonite isn't jet black it's more of a dark slate grey but will still buffer the water as opposed to the Tahitian Moon sand which is jet black but really meant for freshwater. Debris isn't as obvious with the aragonite.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: