ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Unfortuanatly I got inaccurate advice from my fav LFS on a couple Nudi's I bought about a month ago. I was told they're just another algae eater but ive now found it not to be true :( Theyve been doing ok so far but I can tell they are desperate for food. One is pictured here.. Ribescia Apolegma

All my research tells me they eat a black type of sponge in Indonesia. Ive tried using angel formula but he's uninterested. Short of buying fresh, uncured Indonesia rock that might contain the sponge of choice for this guy, do I have any chance of keeping him alive?

The other Nudi is a almost 2 inches long when fully stretched out. Black with stud-like white dots on him. I know this guy eats Tunicates cuz he's stripped a few rocks of my sea squirts and tunicates Ive been rather proud of for the year+ Ive had em in there. So how the hell am I gonna supply this thing with Tunicates?

Its not my usual MO to buy before researching. But I trusted the dealer and I guess thats my fault. Impulse buy, cause who wouldnt want a beauty like this in their tank? I guess this employee doesnt know too much about what he's selling and I hate the thought of buying anything and having it die in my system. Who does? But with around 100 species presently in my tank, not a single addition has died for over 8 months.

I guess that streak is gonna be broken huh? :-/

If anyone has info on these Nudi's Id be so appreciative of the help.

Thank you.

-Jay

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Your main problem is going to be getting an ample amount of food for the nudi's to keep them alive longer than a few months. Treasure them for as long as you can because they will waste away. You won't find the food source in the amount needed to keep them alive for long. And if you do it will be pricey.

I purchased the flatworm eating nudi's for my small 15g frag tank that was covered in them, literally covered. It took 3 of them about a week to destroy the flatworm population just to give you an idea of how much food they could possibly need. They wasted away about 2 weeks after that.

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Your main problem is going to be getting an ample amount of food for the nudi's to keep them alive longer than a few months. Treasure them for as long as you can because they will waste away. You won't find the food source in the amount needed to keep them alive for long. And if you do it will be pricey.

I purchased the flatworm eating nudi's for my small 15g frag tank that was covered in them, literally covered. It took 3 of them about a week to destroy the flatworm population just to give you an idea of how much food they could possibly need. They wasted away about 2 weeks after that.

Im pretty sure this guy doesnt eat flatworms. All the research on this species in the wild indicates they were photographed eating a black sponge. The other is just on the hunt for Tunicates. So i guess uless I find some specialized food supply company, I will also have to watch them waste away. One company makes "Seaworm Supreme", thats how I got my moorish Idol eating. But I cant find that food anymore. Maybe I can research further to find other food possibilities. Black Indonesian Sponge and tunicates is what Id probably have to track down.

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I have a lot of black sponge in my tank, If you can come down it's yours..

I appreciate the offer Bob. I currently ave 4-5 types of songe in my tank, purple, yellow, white orange. Ive put the lil guy on these areas and he hasnt eaten it. Even so the supply would eventually run out.
Maybe if im out there in the city this week I could try to contact you. I know its just a $20 Nudi but I consider it a challenge to find a source of food for these striking animals and maybe find the means to keep one.

If anyone else has any info on the Apolegma Nudi Im all ears..

thanks guys.

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
MMm. No more advice :-/ You know my ideal career would be advanced Marine aquaria studies. tank raising, finding food supply for attractive animals like this, Id just like to contribute to the positive end of the industry. Througout my 15-18 years in an out of the biz Ive become disgusted with the piles of corpses that would mount as a result of shipments, as well as the poor accomodations in wholesale and retail stores.

I would like nothing more than to be part of a legitimate captive research effort, to bring integrity to the industry and to respect our oceans. I thought Id avoided the shady and inappropriate areas of the biz, but here I am as only a hobbiest, tricked into buying somethin people have no chance of sustaining. Yea im angry, my involvement with the reefing hobby is only out of appreciation for the ocean's animals. But compared to those in the business who know all too well the amount of waste there are in shipments, this anger over a couple nudi's is probably laughable.

On the brightside A very cool member PMed me about there being a wealth of tunicates and sponges right here in Long Island waters. BEfore these things waste away, I will collect some from local waters and try to give em the best chance possible. Shame on my fav LFS, for selling something there's no chance of keeping and advising theyre only helpful algae eaters. :mad:

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
On the brightside A very cool member PMed me about there being a wealth of tunicates and sponges right here in Long Island waters. BEfore these things waste away, I will collect some from local waters and try to give em the best chance possible. Shame on my fav LFS, for selling something there's no chance of keeping and advising theyre only helpful algae eaters. :mad:

I know some members here do it, but I would be very careful about adding local organisms to your tank. as far as the nudi's go, yeah, you are probably pretty screwed. before you go nuts trying to keep them, and possibly infesting your tank with crap we dont even know about, maybe just take your lumps on this one and just return them to the store (even if they wont give you credit), most dont really live that long in captivity anyway...

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I know some members here do it, but I would be very careful about adding local organisms to your tank. as far as the nudi's go, yeah, you are probably pretty screwed. before you go nuts trying to keep them, and possibly infesting your tank with crap we dont even know about, maybe just take your lumps on this one and just return them to the store (even if they wont give you credit), most dont really live that long in captivity anyway...

Thats good advice Jr. thanks vm, I'll probably do that. Sht happens right? Perhaps if I werent so fanatical about doing the right thing in the hobby I wouldnt even be Bothering folks with this thread. Just hate seeing things waste away. But I do really appreciate all the replies :)

-Jay

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: