nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Hey posted here cause I need some advise, I bought a frag of blue tubs which came with some algae on it. I dipped the piece of rock to rid it of any possible pests but unfortunately I had high nitrates and phosphates in my tank at the time which allowed it to grow.

I am now running a reactor w/GFO and am dosing Red Sea No3: PO4-X everyday for the last 2 weeks to reduce my phosphates. I have setup my RODI to stop buying water from my LFS which allows me to control my water quality and perform routine WC more often to reduce nitrates. My tang surprisingly isn't nipping at the algae growing in the frag, what can I do to rid that frag of the nuisance algae before it spreads to my LR? I really want to save the blue tubs they are doing well about 10 polyps on the piece.

***PLEASE ADVISE ME***

Thanks

Serega

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Peroxide dip. I have done it before for zoa frags with excellent results. Zoas were pieced for a couple of days, but opened up later with no problems and the algae was all gone. I'm trying to find the link I had saved, but not having any luck. Just search for zoa peroxide dip on Google and you will find it. Good luck.

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Peroxide Dip

Ok, I pulled as much algae off the plug by hand as I could. I then prepared a dip solution of saltwater from the tank and peroxide. I prepared a second dip solution with Seachem Reef Dip and tank water. Finally a third container of just tank water.

I placed the frag plug in the first solution and started the timer for 5mins, after a minute observed the polyps closed up and shrunk. There were some bubbling coming from the frag plug, after the 5 mins I dipped it in the second solution for a minute only. Then finally into the pure tank water. I checked the container and noticed some loose algae floating but there is still some on the frag plug. I returned it to the tank and placed it away from the LR on the sand bed. Should I perform another peroxide dip tomorrow?

Thanks

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Peroxide Dip

Update - I have left them alone and today they started to open up. iIt looks like there is still some small pieces of algae on the plug. The coralline algae on the plug has turned red, anything to be concerned with? Thanks Serega for help.

Serega

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Update - I have left them alone and today they started to open up. iIt looks like there is still some small pieces of algae on the plug. The coralline algae on the plug has turned red, anything to be concerned with? Thanks Serega for help.

Coralline will die off on the plug, in fact I was dosing my tank with peroxide and it did little to help with hair algae, but it melted most of my coralline. Dipping works much better. Let your zoas relax for few days and repeat dipping if nessesary.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: