dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
yes make sure not to get ripped off but i would suggest to just go to bestbuy or something. Those stores like to play games and when you try returning the next day it becomes an issue, happened to me. They over charges me big time a few years ago. If you wanna test it go check it out and watch them start throwing numbers at you like a car salesman... But with everything check the internet for what you want so you have an idea of what it goes for; then go from there. They sell legal stuff and new but its a game to them.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I'm not 100% sure of the details, but as I've heard it, many of them sell the 'foreign' version of the camera you're looking for. These 'foreign' models won't carry the manufacturer's warranty. Those cameras carry the cheap pricing you see.

The USA version of those cameras carry the warranty and command the premium pricing.

As stated above, you need to be aware of the refurbished models that also won't be supported by the manufacturers warranty.

This can all be confusing when you're out there looking for an expensive camera for a rock bottom price. Sometimes the deals are literally 'too good to be true'.

Russ

Rating - 100%
141   0   0
I got mine from Pc Richard .. But even b4 u go their or to any other place do some research and find out what kind of camera u want to get and what u want to spend. Pc Richards took the price that best buy had for the same camera I got it fr a better price and a bigger memory card.. Just a FYI.. Hope this helps

Turbovr3six

HighTideCoral.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
yes make sure not to get ripped off but i would suggest to just go to bestbuy or something. Those stores like to play games and when you try returning the next day it becomes an issue, happened to me. They over charges me big time a few years ago. If you wanna test it go check it out and watch them start throwing numbers at you like a car salesman... But with everything check the internet for what you want so you have an idea of what it goes for; then go from there. They sell legal stuff and new but its a game to them.

That was one thought of mine regarding returns. Thanks for clearing it up, and sorry to hear about your bad experience.:mad:

I'm not 100% sure of the details, but as I've heard it, many of them sell the 'foreign' version of the camera you're looking for. These 'foreign' models won't carry the manufacturer's warranty. Those cameras carry the cheap pricing you see.

The USA version of those cameras carry the warranty and command the premium pricing.

As stated above, you need to be aware of the refurbished models that also won't be supported by the manufacturers warranty.

This can all be confusing when you're out there looking for an expensive camera for a rock bottom price. Sometimes the deals are literally 'too good to be true'.

Russ

Russ, thanks for the reply. The warranty thing was on my mind while I was window shopping these things. I figured they must either be hot or from an overseas supplier, making things nearly impossible to get fixed. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

I got mine from Pc Richard .. But even b4 u go their or to any other place do some research and find out what kind of camera u want to get and what u want to spend. Pc Richards took the price that best buy had for the same camera I got it fr a better price and a bigger memory card.. Just a FYI.. Hope this helps

Sure does help, thanks. I never think to go to PC Richards. They didn't have many at all in Arizona, it was only Best Buys. :irked:

There's only 2 stores you need to know in Manhattan.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
http://www.adorama.com/

Just in case, both are closed on Saturdays.

P.S. Manhattan Aquarium is a stone's throw away from B&H. Win...Win ;)

Nice, thanks. This gives me another excuse to head over there.:spin:

BrooklynReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
Most of those stores carry refurbished gear. But its still for the most part real gear. Id steer clear of the lenses though. Someone else was right, prices are so cheap at legit places like Best Buy or B&H ....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

They move so much inventory nobody can touch their prices. Plus the 34th street store near the garden is SICK! A photographers heaven, and right next to Manhattan Aquariums!

rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
happened to me at best buy they are the worst! had to call better business bureau on them and numerous emails just to return a lcd tv

FocusReefing

Just a podcaster from Queens
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Also calumet(close to Adorama) They are open Saturdays and offer prices similar to b&H & Adorama. All staff are experts in photography & printing, not just sales associates. Ive gotten misleading information from b&h in the past but overall they are still great place with great prices.

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Also calumet(close to Adorama) They are open Saturdays and offer prices similar to b&H & Adorama. All staff are experts in photography & printing, not just sales associates. Ive gotten misleading information from b&h in the past but overall they are still great place with great prices.

+1, I much prefer calumet over b&h. They are a lot smaller, but will do special orders for you if you request them. I originally started shopping at Calumet because they were open Saturdays, but I've found the staff to be a lot more personable than those that work at b&h and the prices very similar, so I keep going back.

B&h sells used and refurbs, but they are for the most part clearly represented as such. I would not recommend checking out a camera at a store and then buying it on amazon, you're taking the same gamble that you are when you buy from one of those no name electronic shops. You're probably going to end up with a grey market camera and have a hell of a time trying to return it/get warranty repairs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: