vangoghfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Strange common oder in my multiple tanks(all have glass tops), numbers run good on all tanks, except nitrites are a bit high in my 155 6' bow(maybe 5-10), multiple tangs, small angels, very large flagfin, lots of tangs. Ran carbon, did not seem to make much of a difference, now doing it again. I do keep my temp high 81-82, slowly dropping it to 78-79, as a lot of water does evaporate daily, have only used ro water, and oceanic sea salt mix for water changes, started making 5-10 gal. changes weekly. I have begun adding anemones and some corals to the tank, and have multiple compact coralife aqualight t-5s. Was wondering, if the glass tops, are possibly the cause. I do have a asm g-3 skimmer, doing a great job, and large tuperware tub as a sump, with external dart pump, with two returns, plumbed out from the tuperware. Have thought about removing the glass tops, does anyone think, the tank needs to breathe more, I do have 4 koralia #4 powerheads, also in there. I did switch to new freedom food a while back, but have now cut back on that. Feed spirulina flakes daily, mysis(soaked in garlic extreme and zoe) every other day, nori sheets usually daily, all fish are pigs.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
If you have trites your cycling wether small or large cycle.. If the tanks been running for a while then you need more rock.. Cycling does smell a little bit and if you nose is as sensitive as mine your smelling ammonia in the system..

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Your fish count in the 155 could easily be the reason for the nitrates in there. If you want to keep all of those fish you'll just have to deal with it in the usual ways, careful feeding, water changes, stay on top of the carbon and a phosban reactor woulnd't be a bad idea either. With that fish load, 5-10 doesn't seem so bad, but I would change 15-20% of the water per week so they get no higher.

The one thing I would do is pitch the tops...all of them. You are trapping carbon dioxide under there and not allowing it to escape, which doesn't allow fresh oxygen in either. Do you have any power heads that are agitating the surface of the water? You should :)
Adding more agitation and removing the tops will get rid of that odor. (and help your fish & corals too)

How about some pics :)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I believe he is talking about nitrites not nitrates which at 5 to 10 is not that bad where as nitrites is a danger. I have 2 glass covers on my 6' so called fowlr, but the 3rd. cover is an egg crate cause I did worry about the gas exchange.

What test kit are you using and how old is it?

vangoghfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
KathyC, I finally got a detailed full of advice to length, I believe solution, one tank does have a lionfish in it, so in that tank, I will remove half the lids, the back half, as I have a 4 yr. old son(although there is a 6-7" banana wrasse in there, jumper?), and my wife would be paranoid, which I can't blame her, would you suggest a net on the 155 top? Because of the xmas wrasse and tilefish, being jumpers? If so, what type, and where could I get it? Pond cover net maybe, or just leave it open? Another question on lights....I have a lot of the Coralife Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, that have a One 28 watt 10K and one 28 watt True Actinic T5 fluorescent lamp, the amount that I have are as follows: 2 of 48", 4 of 36", they are pretty much cover the top of the 155 gal 6' tank, a bow front. Was thinking on switching to one large light fixture, as these were bought in groups, and lastly, how long should the lights be on for corals daily, 8 hrs.? 12 hrs.? I currenly have mushrooms, frogspawn, polys, sunburst.
I know I am hitting you with a lot, but figure I have a good source, I love this forum.

vangoghfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have about 175 lbs of live rock, was well established, when I got it from another hobbiest, the rest of system mentioned in my intial listing, water crystal clear, has been for a very long time, never a jump in ph or ammonia, always perfect, etc.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Is this Nitrite situation something recent, or has been there all along?
What I am thinking is that there must have been an ammonia spike which then turned into trites (this would be a good thing since ammonia is deadly). Where could the ammonia have come from? Did you have any losses? Perhaps over fed a bit much one day that sat in a corner decomposing.
As for the cover: KathyC is the person that was making them for a while. You could also check the DIY forum. I don't have many corals in my "FOWLR" so I have the 1 egg crate for now. Eventually I will get busy and make a mesh cover for it..;)

vangoghfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Nitrites, were off an on, for quite a while now, just a tad high, nothing serious, just added 4 #4 koralias, for much better circulation, adding one more two, I am thinking at Kathy said, the glass tops need to be off, or at least let some air in, as you are doing. Will get the nets, the glass tops are always accumulating dried salt anyway.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I didn't remove the glass tops due to trites or anything like that. My tank was completely sealed due to my 2 eels with no problems. I removed one of the glass tops to allow for heat to escape.;)
But you're right about the darn salt not to mention the algea that accumulates on the glass so I will be removing the other 2 at some point.;)

vangoghfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
WOW AMAZING...just check my nitrITES, in my 155, and "0", first time in quite a while, guess adding in the 4 #4 koralias for more water movement last Friday evening, and leaving the glass tops open all day, did the trick, probably a combo of both, guessing the tank oder will be gone tomorrow. Did throw carbon in today too!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: