• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I read that most of the rocks used in reef tanks are aragonite - or some related type of rock.
I'm wondering if there are any kinds of terrestrial rocks that are reef safe.

I'm working on a project that needs some 'unnatural' looking rocks in it (unnatural for a reef that is) - something sort of pointy and smooth.

Can someone recommend something that would be reef safe without my having to go to a chemist to test it?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The issue with terrestrial rock is the variety of things that the rock can be compose of including iron and other minerals that you not want in a reef tank.

You would need to know (and be 100% sure) of the composition of the entire rock before taking the chance on using it in a reef tank...and you would also have to be sure the rock was not (ever) from a place where any chemicals or insecticides could have tainted it.

Some of the rock that is sold for FW tanks might be okay, but I could not tell you specifically which type/s. I certainly would not use anything not found in a LFS in any fish tank.

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You'd also need to make sure it's a pourous structure otherwise it's just another rock. The whole point of live rock is to create a natural filter, if it's a solid rock you might as well fill the tank with decorations.

pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
you can always make your own.
I looked that up and I'm considering it - although I'm not that good of a sculptor and I'm looking for a specific kind of shape.

You'd also need to make sure it's a pourous structure otherwise it's just another rock. The whole point of live rock is to create a natural filter, if it's a solid rock you might as well fill the tank with decorations.
It actually is meant to be 'decorative'. The rest of the tank will have regular live rock, but for this part of the project I was hoping to find some rock that looks different to create a visual effect.

I don't want to risk the chemistry and health of my tank - I was just wondering if there were some common types of rock that could be 'reef safe' but no one used because they aren't porous enough.

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It actually is meant to be 'decorative'. The rest of the tank will have regular live rock, but for this part of the project I was hoping to find some rock that looks different to create a visual effect.

I don't want to risk the chemistry and health of my tank - I was just wondering if there were some common types of rock that could be 'reef safe' but no one used because they aren't porous enough.

If that's the case I take it back, prob best to try and make your own like Skene said above. It doesn't have to be perfect just try and remember the last time you saw a perfectly shaped rock. Do you remember? Me either, but if you want to make somewhat complex caves and stuff that look natural that's pretty much your best bet, from the DIYs I've seen it doesn't look too hard to do.

Good luck, if you try this please post pics I'd love to see what you came up with.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: