wallysworld

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Is it possible my 3 peppermint shrimp are eating my Ricordia? I haven't seen them eating them but after adding the shrimp three days later my Ricordia look like sh&%. Someone had said something about peppermint shrimp chowing on their coral so I figured I would see what everybody here has to say?

Thanks,

OctaviousMonk

Sucka Free Reefin' !!!
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
You will get a different answer every time as no animal is 100% predictable.
I personally have only seen my peppermints eat tissue that is damaged, dead or dying.

Zoous

Real Estate and Reefs
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Yes, I recently got some peppermint shrimps and if they isn't enough food they will go for corals. In my experience, the coral does not have to stressed out or damaged.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Peppermint shrimp are not usually known to eat corals, but Camelback shrimp are.
Are you sure it isn't a camelback?
Pic of a Camelback
mdcamelshrmed2.JPG

wallysworld

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Well I am going to test by removing them from the reef for 2 weeks to see if my Ric's and hammer come back.

No, they are not camels I checked that when they came crawling out of the live rock I bought. The sad thing is they have eggs hatching every two weeks. I have 2 females and one male. The other night the tank was loaded with hundreds of baby's. I tried to transfer a few but netting was a bad idea I found, they all died. Not sure what I would have done with them anyway?

Thanks,
Walter

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: