jmanz

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having trouble keeping my PH at 8.3. The thing I cannot figure out is my Alkalinity is steady at 5.0 which should act as a buffer once I reach 8.3 right? I am using Seachem reef buffer to help reach the safe PH range but within a day it is back down to 8.1-8.2. I know it isn't the worst thing in the world but it is getting fustrating. is there something I am missing? I have searched through the web site for info and haven't found an answer yet.

here are my tank specifics:
30 G reef tank
30 lbs of fiji rock
4 in live sand bed
cpr bak pak skimmer
magnum HOT filter with carbon and phosphate removal media

I was thinking about adding kalk but haven't found an economical way to do this without having a IV straped to a jug hanging above my tank on the wall.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

:(

JBiz

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just me 2 pennies but

what kind of test are you using that registers a .1-.3 variation. Reef tanks typically have ph fluctuations from 8-8.4 (8 at night, 8.3 during mid-day)without negative reactions. are you experiencing some negatives due to the fluctuations or do you just want to stay at 8.3 all the time? if you dont add the buffer does it fall below 8? If you arent experiencing any negative effects i think your ph is fine. but what do i know...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: