SI-Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up for a week. Having a problem raising PH above 7.75
I've been adding Seachem reef builder daily, it raises my PH for a half a day and it goes back to 7.75. What am I doing wrong.

PH 7.75
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 480
Carbonate Hardness 8
Phosphate less then .25
Magnesium 1350
Salt 1.025
Instant ocean reef crystal salt

SI-Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research and found some information about carbon dioxide levels in the tank
They recommended opening windows in the room the tank is located and place an air stone in the tank. Doing this my PH levels have been increasing slowly all day. My PH is now 8.03.

SI-Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm getting their
I added seachem reef buffer PH goes to 8.2
By the next morning its back to 8

I'm trying to keep the 8.3 range
Am I the only one having this issue

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Reefs

empire

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Try aquavitro 8.4. Be careful, as it will raise your alkalinity. Test 2 hours after lights go on and 2 hours before lights go out.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Sounds like you have a CO2 issue since opening your window made such a difference. You can do a few things...

Keep window open
Get some indoor plants
Use kalk in your ATO or get a stirrer
Run your skimmer airline to outside
Build a CO2 scrubber

And yes it's very common..

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
STOP:

Chasing PH on a tank that is 1 week old.

Adding additives to correct what right now is not really an issue.

Take a breath and let the tank establish itself. Let it settle in and see what you have at that point. Unless you made a VERY serious mistake and have already started stocking the tank you have nothing to worry about right now.

If you still have an issue at that point there are solutions. It does sound like a possible CO2 issue but let the tank get going first. Are you running a skimmer? Do you run a fuge? Lighting schedule (shouldn't really be on at this point).

Last edited:

SI-Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I listened to the guy at the fish store and added a clown fish
I'm running a skimmer that came with the 29gal biocube
And I did not add a refug

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Reefs

Nottick

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I honestly depends on how everything was done. I you do a search there are different ways to cycle a tank also those searches should provide you with the indications and test to be done to see what stage the cycle is at. Also don't go adding 15 fish at once. You need to establish a bio load balance within your system or you can cause another mini cycle or even worse a tank crash

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: