Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I'm upgrading to a 29G Biocube (bow front) and I really want to get into photography again.

I have read about people complaining about taking pictures of tanks with bow fronts. How big of a deal is this?

Any input would be appreciated...

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
It depends on how serious you are about photography. The bow front will distort all photos taken through it. If you take the photos towards the edges or very close up/very far away, you can minimize the effects. But things tend to look blurred and distorted.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
So I'll be limited to macro/micro shots from down through the water only?

This may be a deal breaker. I may put my new tank on hold and look for a non bow front tank. Bummer :banghead:

Can anyone provide a sample of how bad the photos will be?

Last edited:

MikeyNYC

Ol' Skool
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I have bow, no problems taking pictures. I would say that the camera equipment is more factor on potential limitations then the actual refraction caused by the glass.

Got some picks in the gallery, take a look. I posted a full tank shot a little while back

Phyl

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even macro photography on a bow is difficult. From far away the distortion is lessened. If you have "flat" sides to the bow it won't be so bad, but anywhere the glass curves it will cause distortion to the images that are beyond repair. Top downs are the only sure way to take photos.

Have you ever taken a picture on an angle through regular glass (especially macro)? That is the same distortion you get going "straight" through a bow. I would never own one for that reason (and they give me headaches too).

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have pretty much top of the line equipment for a non-professional photographer and I still find it difficult to get good shots. Here are examples (from Domboski's 72 bowfront):
2305989533_3721291baf.jpg

2306792674_83a393bc04.jpg

2306800290_dec2c700a0.jpg

2305994835_0b4f78ae31.jpg

2331712491_152a31d148.jpg

2802736729_cebaa7a3b9.jpg

most of these were taken at the least bowed parts of the tank. The photo of the ribbon eel (which wasn't actually eating mysis - Dom is good, but not that good :) ) was taken at a more extreme part of the bow. They lived in PVC pipe so I was limited in the angle I could take the photos at.

Here are some of my aquarium photos from flat fronted tanks:

461910006_c2470fc8ee.jpg

2801269515_e5052f6d43.jpg

1225311202_d3a51ac5ef.jpg

Those are three example just to show you what my photos normally look like.

(And before someone asks - all photos were taken with Pentax dSLRs. The more recent ones with the k20d and the older ones with a k10d or *ist DS and either a 100mm macro or a 28-200mm zoom)

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
bowfronts magnifies the object by a small percentage. other than that, taking pics is no problem. the reason it may be at a disadvantage is cause of the depth of the tank. since the depth will be greater, the focus will be harder unless the subject is very close to the front glass which chances r slim unless u place it there just for that purpose.
check out my pics. all r taken in a 92 bowfront.

camera - canon s45 with manual focus settings

heres a shot with a frag up front :
Image16.jpg

this one is at least 2 feet away:
Image60.jpg

note: of cause the type of camera n skill r very important too.

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Reefman that makes sense and I have problems getting deeper images to come out clear

about 5" from glass. I could never get corals in the back to come out this clear with the same lens.
dogsactinicpics022.jpg

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Well that put a damper on the party. Thank you every one for the great examples!

The money I planned on spending on a custom made sump to fit under my 29G Biocube may go towards a new stand and tank :irked:

RaSooch

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you are looking for a similiar system the RedSea Max does not have a bow front to it even though it is seamless. The front pane of the tank is still flat and the only distortion the glass would make would come from the corners. Try and see if you can see one in person to determine. Hope this helps.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Ditto on the photography answers. I never once got a headache from looking at my 155 G bowfront. Close up or from 10' away can't say I ever got a headache in the past 2 years that I've had it. I do have problems with taking pics but since a friend told me to go at a 45 degree angle I can get better ones and I don't have a dslr. All I have is a Canon PowerShot S3 IS.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: