32Bit_Fish

Guys,

I found a small snail on the glass. Its shell has the pyramid shape (pointy tip), the snail has several (probably 4-5) tiny, but long antenas. Should I leave it alone or get rid of it?

Thanks

32Bit_Fish

See pics. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2172.jpg
    IMG_2172.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 179

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
it could be stamatolla snail ..also a keeper eats algy

... Definitely not a stomatella. It's a turbinid snail of some sort. It does have bands, but the angle of the shell appears to be significantly steeper than that of your standard banded trochus, so I'm gonna guess that it's some sort of Astraea. In any case, algae eater and a keeper. :)

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks guys. This guy poped out of no where after the tank has been set up for almost 4 month. I didn't add any new rocks since the initial set up.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
definitely a juvi red banded trochus - mine spawn babies all the time.

House

Huh. Mine are a lot flatter -- that is, have a significantly more oblique angle at the apex of the shell.

I did love the surprise of finding baby trochus in my fuge a couple months ago. "WTF is that? That trochus is tiny, I didn't put any new snails in ... ohhhhhhh."

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Are you saying it can spawn babies without a partner?

Naw. Two snails definitely need to be involved. However, trochus snails tend to hide out during the day in nooks and crannies in your LR; you probably had it in your tank since you got the rock, and now it's just gotten bigger and more likely to wander out in the open.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Naw. Two snails definitely need to be involved. However, trochus snails tend to hide out during the day in nooks and crannies in your LR; you probably had it in your tank since you got the rock, and now it's just gotten bigger and more likely to wander out in the open.

I bought my rocks almost 4 month ago. But what you were saying definitely make sense. Thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: