jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
So I am thinking about upgrading my skimmer to a large external one. only issue i am having is that the skimmer i am looking at MTC HSA 1000 requires a pressure rated pump (iwaki 40 or 55rlt or similar). My sump cant really accomodate that, and I was hoping to use a submersible pump instead. so i guess here are my questions...

1. what does a pressure rated pump mean anyway?
2. are there any submersible pumps that are pressure rated? if not why?
3. is there a submersible pump that would be up to the task? (I already called MTC and they weren't much help)

Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I think pressure rated is just mean the head pressure. Like a pump is 300gph at 0 feet, but only 100gph at 4 feet. Something along the line. Most pumps are. You just need to find out how much "pressure" it needs and how much gph you need.

Consider the Quiet One pumps. They are just like their name, Quiet. :)

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
thanks guys. i asked MTC about using a mag 18 and they said that it wasnt pressure rated and that no submersible pumps were. i also thought it was about head height...anyway, i will probably just try a mag 18 adn see if it works...

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't need a submersible pump. you are not going to submerge it because you have an external skimmer, or am i reading this wrong? you want to put an external skimmer in your sump?

a pressure rated pump is different than other pumps, because it's rated to push water alot farther without losing alot to head pressure. this pump would be something a person looks for to push water from the basement sump maybe. a magdrive just won't do it, no matter what size you choose.

S

shaunmark

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Pressure rated submersible pumps are suitable to transfer liquids containing impurities measuring up to 2-3 mm.
The hydraulic components, namely the brass impeller and the aluminium scroll and pump body allow the pumps to be used with water, emulsions and oily substances in general with a maximum viscosity 3?Engler (21 CST). The temperature of the liquid must not exceed 90? C.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: