Lostinthedark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I posted this question on Reef Central and didn't get as many replies as I would have liked to feel comfortable.
Is anyone using Prestone Driveway heat to dose calcium in there tanks long term? Anything to watch out for or any ill effects?
I've read about this but am leery about using it even though it would save a lot of money.

Thanks for the input

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The problem with using it is that you don't know what exactly what is in it. In the past certain brands were tested and found to be fine to use, only to have the mix change the following year and, after testing, found to contain things that weren't good to go into the tank.

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Is it really worth the $10 saved over BRS to use something that is meant to melt ice around the house. How much quality control do you think goes into it.

Lostinthedark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is an old thread but I did start using it a few months ago. There are no ill effects at that I can see. Corals are all growing very strong. I also use Arm and Hammer baking soda for alkalinity. Compared to BRS prices including shipping it is a tremendous saving and make the hobby more affordable.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pretty poor data sheet. But, let me enlighten a few. I talked to the head chemist that makes some of these additives for Ca++ and Mg++ and was told most only make one grade and the same stuff goes into all bags, usually ACS Certified, as it is to costly to make many diffrent grades. On the lower grade bags they just do not run the tests required as the are not needed. I think we get way to carried away with grades.

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
This again lol. I think this is more a matter of piece of mind. When I open a container of calcium from BRS I know that it was chosen by "them" for "us". When I get a jug of driveway ice melt I know it was chosen by them for my sidewalk. You can show all the data sheets and have all the scientists in the world prove to me that is without a doubt the same thing, and I will choose the stuff packaged for reefs every time.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know the stuff from BRS, is not the same exact stuff or a poorer grade. Where is their data sheet of proof ? Why do think most reef companies do not show assay data sheets ? By the way many reefers use Peston Drive way Heat.

Lostinthedark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How do you know the stuff from BRS, is not the same exact stuff or a poorer grade. Where is their data sheet of proof ? Why do think most reef companies do not show assay data sheets ? By the way many reefers use Peston Drive way Heat.

The people that used Kent carbon found that out the hard way.

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I'm not say you shouldn't use it. I'm saying I don't use it. It's gives me peace of mind. I also know many that use it and they have great tanks.

As to the the kent stuff? You got me I got nothing to say.

Lostinthedark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There s lots of ways to save money. By experimenting with additional lights on my fuge I've actually eliminated the need for GFO. For an additional 13 watts I save a ton and get rid of a reactor. I used the food grocery store nori since the beginning. No question about it

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are almost insoluble in water. Calcium carbonate, CaCO3, is what Calcium reactor media is made off. You add CO2 gas to the reactor, to lower the pH below 7. The Ca++ released raises the Calcium and the CO3-- released raise the Alk/ buffering and pH.

The opposite of this is Calcium citrate, it will add Ca++ but lower the pH and Alk/ buffering.

Lostinthedark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Somebody in this hobby told me that he uses lime for gardening to dose calcium into his tank.... How much truth is there?

Gabe, I don't put anything into my tank without out doing tons of reading first. I belong to 4 reef blogs and there are very few people that I take there post with a sense of certainty and confidence. Boomer here is one of them, as well as Randy Holmes Farley on ReefCentral. Before you experiment with anything new, read all you can and ask alot.
I run my 225 on a tight budget. Maybe after the 3rd kid gets her braces off I won't have to be so tight. But for now I dose Alk with baking soda through my topoff. Calcium is with Prestone heat through a slow drip tube to the return. I use Chinese leds for lighting and I found that adding a second light through the side of my fuge I've eliminated the need for GFO. The only thing I run is carbon through a canister filter thats hooked up to a 35w UV light. My nitrates and phosphates are both undetectable and my parameters are very stable.
I know there are people that would criticize almost every aspect of how I keep my tank but I've never had a crash and everything grows like crazy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: