SnakeEyes27

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
In short: if I cut power to my sump pump, a siphon is formed and the flow reverses beginning to fill the sump tank. I worried that if the power goes out I will come home to a flooded sump tank.

Is there a valve or something I can install to prevent this backflow? Any other ideas on preventing a sump flood during a blackout?

Thanks,

Rating - 98.6%
73   1   0
you shouldn't need a check valve. adjust the level of your return spout so that it'll only fill up to a certain point in your sump. raise the spout closer to the surface of the water. or you can drill holes on the return...

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Cut power to the sump, wait for it to fill and completely stop flowing, remove water if necessary. Return power to the filter system, wait about 5 minutes for the water levels to stabilize and this should be your sumps maximum water level with power on. You have to allow your sump enough room to accommodate water drainage from your display tank in times or power loss or maintenance. Check valves are great but over time they can fail also.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
anti siphon

not sure what your return pipe is like but on my tank i have a loc line return spout. i drill 1/8 inch holes in the return spout. when i lose power and the water level drops below where i drilled holes they will suck in air then the syphon breaks....this is only to be used as an added safty measure. the holes have to be kept clear in order to work

nycpassat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
220   0   0
most returns have a drilled hole but have a tendency to get clogged by salt creep. Using a check valve is an added layer protection for piece of mind.

you shouldn't need a check valve. adjust the level of your return spout so that it'll only fill up to a certain point in your sump. raise the spout closer to the surface of the water. or you can drill holes on the return...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: