Gap_Kid

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,

Ive got a nice kneyan tree, its growing soo nicely and is now soo big!!

would like to propagate it so i can grow more and more,

please could someone help me with regards to this,, thanxs alot,

Chris..

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gap_Kid,

rdo_welcome.gif

I split your original post into a new topic so that people would find it.

To answer your question: soft corals are real easy to propagate. Todd Crail did an excellent job outlining what it takes to propagate corals here: http://reefs.org/library/farmertodd/ Check out the Tools section and the Fragmentation: Softies section. Nepthea would be the subsection you should refer to.

hth

Shane

paats

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I`ve recently used this method to prop a Kenyan tree and it seems to be working well.This is my first attempt so keep your fingers crossed for me.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the soft corals are incredibly resilient to fragging. Most of the time you can just slice off a branch with a razor blade and superglue it to a piece of rubble and that's it.

Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all of my softies I cut of a piece with a sharp razor blade and rubberband lightly to a piece of rubble. The only thing I have not had sucess with is colt.

jbash

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya Tree (capnella) produces so many babies for us that I've never considered cutting it. Little pieces routinely disattach and end up all over the tanks--requires occassional "weeding". Other softies (Colt, Sinularia, etc) I've cut many times and never had a problem.

HTH, jim b

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything stated above. I actually just sliced off a good sized branch from my ever growing tree and the Frag has now attached it slef to the new rock only like 5 days later.
Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine drops an average of 5-10 babies a month on its own! It will kind of constrict and pinch off a branch and it will then float and settle to a new area in the tank. I have 2 different variants in my 215 and I am thinking of taking them out because they grow so damn fast - worse than xenia by far but they are pretty.

Here's a pic of the problem colony.

litophyton.sized.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not gotten any drops from my capanella, but my devil's hand and branching drop all of the time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: