loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Propagating mushrooms is easy. There are a lot of techniques. Feel free to post them. This is just the one I like to use.
I use a scalple for cutting softies. If you can't get a hold of scalples, an exacto knife from a craft shop is just as good. A sharp knife will also do the job. Pic #1. I agree with jawwad2004 on this one, use a clean, sharp knife and a clean cutting board. This will make cleaner cuts that will heal easier and faster.
First, I expose the base. This can be done in or out of the tank. If it's done inside the tank, you can just rub a finger over the top to cause it to close up and show the base. Outside of the tank, I just flip the rock on its side and fold the head over with the needle puller. Pic #2
Next, using the scalple, I cut the outside edge of the base. Press hard to make sure you get all the way through. You'll see a srtingy white sbustance which basically looks like intestines. You can make several cuts, buy I only do one or two. Pic #3
Last, put it back in the tank. You can cut the whole mushroom just as easily. As long as each cut has a piece of the base, it can split. I like this method better. You see, if you just cut the mushroom in half, there is a good chance it will just join back together. Now you'll have a mushroom with a big scar down the middle. When you do it this way, the pieces of the base turn into little mushrooms and want to get away from the parent colony to get light. Your end result is pic #4. You also don't have to look at a chopped up mushroom in your tank.

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 336
  • expose base.jpg
    expose base.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 341
  • cut.jpg
    cut.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 340
  • end result.jpg
    end result.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 340

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
BTW, if you want them to spread to other rocks, just put smaller rocks around the colony, they will eventually spread on to this. I don't think there is an easier or cheaper way to do this than to buy some dry base rock at the LFS. Hit it with a hammer if you need smaller pieces. All those disks and plugs look fake and cheesy.
I'm notorious for stepping off topic but... maybe we can have a propagation forum like we do for DIY projects?

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Fry, there are many ways to propagate each type of coral. It's as easy as a pair of sharp scissors all the way to using dremmel tools. Hopefully we can get a propagation forum going. I'd love to see other methods. I'm not a site engineer, so I'm not sure if we have room for our own prop forum. Maybe at least a sticky, but that may get messy. For now, if you are interested in fragging something, just post a question here and you'll get plenty of answers.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: