• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Oreo0313

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have my 90 gallon tank up and running. It's currently on its first cycle, going on week 2. I have been looking into getting a protein skimmer, but there are so many options, and online reviews are conflicting. I'm not looking to spend a great deal money. i just want something that will do the job, and do it quietly. Any recommendations? Are the Eshopps any good (the psk-150). I'm also looking into getting a heater. Same issue here. A ton of options. I'm thinking of getting an azoo titanium 300w. Does anyone have any experience with them, or any other suggestions?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! :welcome:

I've not got any experience directly of either of those brands, though I know the Eshopps line has quite a few fans, given it's low cost and pretty high performance for that cost. I went for an Octopus Super Reef skimmer, which is excellent, but might be a bit above your price range ($275 - excellent value for what it is, but not their cheapest model). However, Octopus have a number of different ranges and the Needlewheel 110 skimmer would be good value - it looks to be the same skimmer as the Super Reef, just without the Bubble Blaster pump (though the standard pump is no doubt decent). Octopus' reputation is very good across the board.

As for heaters, I've gone for the Eheim-Jager line. They have a good reputation for reliability.

Oreo0313

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll look into the Needlewheel 110 and the Jager. The Jager heaters are pretty long though. Do you know if you can place them in a pump horizontally? I took your other advice and purchased a Tunze recirculation pump. It comes in today, thankfully, since I think my girlfriend would kill me if we went another week running the panworld in the living room.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it works out well for you. Don't worry if it sounds a little loud to begin with. Once it settles down, it should be pretty darn quiet. I can't hear mine at all, but I do have a rather loud overflow. Remember to check you have it on the right output (it's adjustable). I had mine on the lowest setting to begin with and couldn't work out why it was so slow...

About the heaters - are you asking if they can be placed in a sump horizontally? I'm not sure I've heard of any heaters designed to be placed in a pump. If so, that should be no problem. They're designed to be fully submersible and I imagine can be positioned vertically or horizontally - mine is horizontal.

Oreo0313

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, Ape. I just took a look at the Reef Octopus. They have really good reviews. I'm going to go with it. However, I'm not sure about size. I'm running a 30 gallon sump+90 gallon tank. I have a little over 100lbs of rock and roughly 2 inches of sand. That material must displace at least 10 gallons. The sump is only halfway filled, so that's 15 gallons. I guesstimate the setup only has 95 gallons of water. Should I go for this model http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Octopus ... PS-vi.html , which is rated for a 150 gallon tank? This model looks slightly different from the NWB's. Maybe they are newer? The NWB's aren't sold by the suppliers I've been purchasing from. Do you think this model is comparable? I kind of like how it has the turn valve.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the model I was talking about I think (Marine Depot call it something different to where I bought mine - Premium Aquatics - but I think it's the same skimmer - same rating and more or less the same price, plus it's a needle wheel). Same price on either vendor I think. I don't have any experience of the NWB line, but these look to be a newer model, as you say, so probably even better.

I was going to tell you that you needn't get a skimmer overrated for your tank, then I realised I got a skimmer rated for 150g for my 65g! Well, it was the lowest-rated Super Reef and I liked the look of the Bubble Blaster pump... :oops:

I think the Reef Octopus 6 would be a good choice for you (I think the one you were talking about - rated for 150g).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd second the Ebo heater, they make a nice remote probe unit for use in a sump, I'm assuming that's what the OP meant by "horizontal in a pump"...one that doesn't need to be vertical (like the old glass ones).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":2z3yql5f said:
The glass ones have to be vertical? :?

unless they are rated totally submersible, ya. I've never had any luck with the glass ones, the titanium probe/remote thermostat seems to be more stable IME.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: