Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I set up my skimmer today, I have this Aqua Medic Turboflotor skimmer.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...mers-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

For some reason, there isn't much foam or gulk that is filled into the cup instead I only see water. Second, the flow is set at max speed and is causing alot of noise in between the chambers it flows through before it outputs back to my sump. I tried filling the small chambers with some floss to quiet it down; it worked but then I noticed one of the skimmer tubes that hang on the sump were dripping drip by drip. There is no apparent holes or cracks or damage on this (hard tube) tube thats part of the skimmer.

What can I do to quiet down the skimmer ( I can reduce the flow but then the cup gets filled with all water and fills up in seconds )?

Has anyone dealt with these issues before? When will my cup actually have foam and dirt instead of just water?

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
well they want you to clean it out b4 you added it to the tank to try and get what ever oils ect may be left on the acrylic (not harmful if you didnt) now you have to wait for all of that to be gone then it needs to start collecting bacteria

Basicly if you want you can take it off clean it as good as you can then just hook it up and leave it on you may not even wanna bother taking it off at this point

The water might have went to the top do to the oil ect not cleaned out

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Yea I didn't know I have to clean it LOL.

I just put everything together and connected as is then plugged and started so got excited and it didn't collect anything. HMM, I guess I'll just have to give it some time to break in.

once it breaks in - will the noise be less?

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
give the skimmer a week to break in...but wont be skimming to its max potential for until about a month...
set the skimmer water level low and leave it alone.....you will start seeing foam production in a bout a week and then you can start adjusting the water level higher

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Man, I couldn't sleep last night. The water sound from the sump was so loud; I was paranoid it be a leak or broken faucet in the house.

I woke up and today the floor was dry, phew.

I did notice, the skimmer today is a bit quieter but still not collecting yet so Ill wait for the week to end. Most of the noise is coming from the tube that goes from my overflow box to my sumps first chamber. The tube is way beneath the surface of the water but the pressure is so high that it causes huge bubbling in the chamber. I put a sponge on the surface of the water to stop the bubbling on the surface. Is there a way to stop the noise? Its not from my overflow; I finally tweaked it so its super quiet. =)

I could put a valve on the tube and slow down teh flow - but then my other chambers wont fill up as quickly.

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
af24.jpg

I have a small leakage problem where the two output tubes are that hang on the rim of my sump. There are no cracks are damage on the skimmer; I'm nto sure why this is happening? Anyone had issues with this skimmer before?

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
give the skimmer a week to break in...but wont be skimming to its max potential for until about a month...
set the skimmer water level low and leave it alone.....you will start seeing foam production in a bout a week and then you can start adjusting the water level higher

I still have the skimmer issue, There are massive bubbles in the skimmer, I raised the pump close to the surface and my skimmer still has no foam, instead its real bubbling up and fills the collection cup every 10-15 minutes with water. Then I have to shut off the skimmer and spill out the cup and restart again, UGHS. Nothing giong well, then I'll hve to top off the sump afterwards.. :irked: This skimmer is starting to get on my nerves lol.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
do you by any chance have any photo's or video, video would be better, of this happening? And I really have to ask this, are you trying to use the skimmer in fresh water? Because the large bubble thing occurs when you try to use it in fresh water, or water not saline enough.

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
do you by any chance have any photo's or video, video would be better, of this happening? And I really have to ask this, are you trying to use the skimmer in fresh water? Because the large bubble thing occurs when you try to use it in fresh water, or water not saline enough.

The salinity is at 1.025, measeured with a refractometer. My description of large bubbles is incorrect, I meant lots of microbubbles.

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I posted a video on youtube, but its sideways. Hopefully this gives an idea of whats happening. Someone pls help !!!

Initially the skimmer is off, once I power it on, the cup starts to fill up real quick and it takes away about an inch of water from my sump for every cup. Once the cup fills to the top it starts spilling, so I actually shut it off till I figure out why its the skimmer is filling up quickly.

SKIMMER IN ACTION:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INgDC3UYJuc

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
You might have your skimmer positioned too low, It looks like the skimmer is more than halfway filled before you even turn it on. You need to find out what the maximum height of water your skimmer can handle.

Look under #7 failures

https://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aqua...rs_aqua_medic_turboflotor_t1000_information_2

The water level in the filtration tank or the chamber, where the pump gets its water from, is too low or too high. It should be maintained between 10 and 15 cm

Last edited:

kasha

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
help please

i am having the same problem. except that it was working fine for 1 month. then suddenly it started filling up to quickly. the airline is not clogged and removing the 2 outlet valves doesnt help. what could have caused this perfectly working setup to suddenly overfill so quickly?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: