jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
You're going to get all kinds of opinions on this topic. I always choose to skim during a cycle. Limiting organic waste from the start only helps maintain pristine water quality. The opposing argument is that the skimmer removes "good bacteria" that you need during a cycle. I have never experienced this or know anyone who has.

Last edited:

redfishblewfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's virtually nothing there to skim, so it doesn't matter. If it makes you happy, skim, but please don't post next week wondering why you're not getting any skimmate. :D

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I'm curious, how does it reduce cycle time? If anything it will lengthen the time because it is stripping the water of the foods the nitrifying bacteria need to grow and reproduce.

In my experience from tanks that I have cycled with traditional methods, compared to my last 4 tanks which incorporated nutrient removing media and skimming from the start, the latter was much faster with less of an algae bloom and better water parameters.

I believe the reason why a skimmed tank was a faster cycle for me was because I was limiting the waste in which the bacteria would have to break down. You could use this as an argument that I am removing food for bacteria but that would be anecdotal. Many people skim during their cycle and have healthy populations of bacteria, enough to sustain their livestock and have a blooming reef.

Last edited:

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
When I cycled my tank I ran the skimmer very wet. However I did not choose to collect skimmate. I took out the drain in the cup and just let it go right back into the system. I figured doing it this way I could kill two birds with one stone. Cycled the tank and broke in the skimmer, without lengthening the cycle time.

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Can you please show me where you read this or is this your personal experience?

Purely personal experience. Though at least in my head it would make sense that if there is more "waste" in the cycling tank then there would ultimately end up bring more benificial bacteria produced. That's why I chose to run the skimmer but allow it to flow right back into the tank. Again purely personal preference.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: