Webo

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aqua C EV Protein skimmer for over 2 years running in my reef system. I've noticed yesterday that it stopped producing foam. It appears to be clear liquid in the chamber. I recently installed a new power head in the sump. would that be the cause for it to stop skimming? If so, how long until it starts skimming again?

thank you.

Avi

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a couple of Aqua-C EV skimmers and they are "quirky" when it comes to the conditions in the sump changing for any reason...like maintenance or feeding and the like. It causes the skimmer to stop foaming and this can take quite a long time...even hours. It shouldn't take a long as overnight to start skimming again, though. Make sure your skimmer's water level is just at the top of the black box and the air-valve is open. I's possible, I guess, that the addition to the powerhead in the sump is cause of this failure to produce foam. Maybe if there is a lot of protein, like detritus, etc. in the sump, the powerhead is keeping it in suspended in the water and that's effecting the skimmer negatively. If it doesn't start skimming very soon, cut off that powerhead and wait for a couple of hours to see if the foaming resumes.

Webo

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

A power head has always been in the sump - I've been using it for my phosban reactor for 2 years. It's a new power head though. It seems that whenever I add a new powerhead to the system, the foam stops.

I also checked the air injector and it was clean. Even when i took the air injector off, it still didn't foam. It's bizarre.

Avi

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It is bizarre, but I think that it isn't unusual for the Aqua-C's. Probably, a slime coat has to fully form on the new powerhead and then you'll be back in business.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
How long has the new power head been in your sump.
EV skimmers are greatly affected bt oils of any kind, If there was some sort of residue on new power head. Your skimmer could be down for a while.
I just took out my EV180. I HATED IT. The thing is more sensitive than my 8 year old daughter
If I put my hands in the tank it wouldnt skim for at least 24 hours. IT SUCKS..... JMO

Thanks.

A power head has always been in the sump - I've been using it for my phosban reactor for 2 years. It's a new power head though. It seems that whenever I add a new powerhead to the system, the foam stops.

I also checked the air injector and it was clean. Even when i took the air injector off, it still didn't foam. It's bizarre.

Webo

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein Skimmer question

Thanks. I guess you're right. Are you happy with your Aqua C's? or would you go with another brand if you did it over again?

thanks again for the insight.

Webo

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. The new pump was put in yesterday morning. Also, everytime I put my hand in the tank, it goes down. When I bought this skimmer, I thought this model (EV 240) was one of the best on the market. Is there an alternative that works as well without all the down time?

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
No not happy at all.
I started using a prizm pro that a friend gave me, and its kicking butt, pulling alot of skimmette. It also dosn't stop skimming when I put my hand in the tank, or feed.
But there are much better skimmers than the prizm..
I think that it has to do with the way the aqua makes bubbles, VERY LARGE, as opposed to a venturi style, with very fine bubbles.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: