• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

pdnyc69

acan and zoa master
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I have a 180 gallon tank with a 200 gallon rated wet dry sump (pro clear) and a pro clear protien skimmer. Does anyone have any idea on a different skimmer. And should I start removing bioballs. I have 350 pds of live rock. Thanks in advance for your advice

Kaz289

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a 180 gallon tank with a 200 gallon rated wet dry sump (pro clear) and a pro clear protien skimmer. Does anyone have any idea on a different skimmer. And should I start removing bioballs. I have 350 pds of live rock. Thanks in advance for your advice

I was told by alot of members on here to get rid of my bioballs so i did and so far so good my nitrates are at zero. I changed my filter setup completly and spent maybe $20 and 3 hrs doing it. I dont know much about skimmers cant help u there. I have asked people to put pics of there equipment/filter setups here maybe u can get some ideas from them on what should be in your sump. With a sump of that size u should have no problem converting to the sump/refuge setup. http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/photography/61188-equipment-setups-show-em-off.html

benjamin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeh defo remove the bioballs but take them out a handful every few days to give the bacteria a chance to build up.
skimmer will depend on budget but being in the uk i dont think i can help with info on that

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
the reason it causes nitrate, is because detris and food get stuck to the bioballs. In a reef tank you have LR wich does the same as the bioballs.

What kind of skimmer are you looking for? a replacement to fit in the sames space or an external one?

greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
What price range are you looking for a skimmer in? I just got an I-Tech 200 cone and I am very happy with it. They make a 400 model for larger tanks. Mine was a little over 500.

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
This is my personal take: Aqua C (patent spray nozzel); Euroreef (venturi/pinwheel); precision marine (venturi/pinwheel); Deltec (venturi).

THe next decision is the way it creates bubbles in the next deciding factor.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: