SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
All of a sudden my purple stylo is receding and I?m not sure why. My tank parameters seem to be right where I need them for the stylo to be happy. Any ideas would be great.

Ph: 8.0
Mg: 1300
Alk: 7.6
Cal: 409
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0

Couple of things also worth noting.

I had a frag if this coral on a shelf that also started receding around the same time. Both started receding on the underside of the coral (I mistakenly assumed this was die-off from lack of light and nothing to worry about)

Other SPS in my tank is doing fine. Monti caps, encrusting monti, pocillopora.

I had taken my circulation pump out when I noticed this issue assuming that it was too much flow. After googling it seems that these coral want more flow not less so I put the circulation pump back in.

I?m also feeding the tank with phyto grown using F2 fertilizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Any thought? This just keeps getting worse and I have no idea why.

994244f65dd381c74f442b18fff94bdc.jpg
8c83a50e0c87ce4aa12a29f5a1831be3.jpg

Czynot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I had exactly same thing happen 3 weeks ago.

I have 3 blue stylo that was going great. it had full polyp extension and was growing. I was very happy with them.
One day I notice white on the bottom of the stylo. It took 3 days for me to realize it was peeling. When I look closely. I notice my birds nest are peeling too.
I had a power outage on my block for 4 hours one day. My battery backup keep the return going for an hour before I got my generator going. I also had a Alk swing happen around the same time period.
I got my alk swing stabilized and the stylo peeling slow down. But it was too late for the birds nest.

Salt: redsea purple bucket
Temp: 77.0
Salinity: 1.025 / 33.5ppm
alk: 10.8
cal: 452
mag: 1380

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2.0
phosp: 0.13

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I had exactly same thing happen 3 weeks ago.

I have 3 blue stylo that was going great. it had full polyp extension and was growing. I was very happy with them.
One day I notice white on the bottom of the stylo. It took 3 days for me to realize it was peeling. When I look closely. I notice my birds nest are peeling too.
I had a power outage on my block for 4 hours one day. My battery backup keep the return going for an hour before I got my generator going. I also had a Alk swing happen around the same time period.
I got my alk swing stabilized and the stylo peeling slow down. But it was too late for the birds nest.

Salt: redsea purple bucket
Temp: 77.0
Salinity: 1.025 / 33.5ppm
alk: 10.8
cal: 452
mag: 1380

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2.0
phosp: 0.13

Sorry to hear that. Did you manage to save any of the stylo?

Czynot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The peeling slow down now. All 3 frag remaining polyp not looking happy. Polyp closest to the peeling are closed up tight while others are open. It was not what it once was. All the stylo was doing great with full polyp extension and growing new polyps over cut area until this happen.
Effected coral are the Stylo, Birds nest and bubble gum digi. Worse are birds nest and stylo. It did not effect any of my other Acro and monti.

I recently have installed 3 AI 26HD. I was running all 3 led at lower power output 45% blues and 8% white to avoid burning the corals. Than the power outage and Alk Swing. I am leaning toward alk swing that cause the peeling.

I would suggest to test your water parameters.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: