Manta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i have a ten gallon tank that u can see in the pic .I purchased what I think is dry base rock that u can see in the other pic, is it safe for me to and this to the tank as is.i am asking because I am a noob and I have read some where that the dry rock can leach something in the water and kill the fish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 195

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will rinse it and Put it in. If you want some nice established rock liveaquaria has a sale on there premium Figi rock. It's flown straight from Figi.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Manta..adding more dry- or dead rock to your tank won't help the situation you are already in. Dead rock is rock that was once considered 'live rock' that has been out of water - and since dried - but has dead organics in it..that will RAISE your ammonia level - so you really don't want to add it. Dry rock is rock that has not ever been in a tank and usually doesn't raise ammonia levels..it just takes a while to get seeded with bacteria., nor should it leach anything into the water..as long as it is real rock.

Your best bet is to buy live rock locally - ideally from a member who has a healthy tank, to help introduce some good bacteria into your tank. After that is in your tank for a few weeks you can slowly add more dry rock.
You could place an a Want To Buy ad in that forum here on the Marketplace page.
Good to also mention where in NY you live (town) so folks know where you're at and can offer to help you out more easily.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: