annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am really not here to start a debate over BB vs DSB. That has been done plenty of times already. (No, I have not made up my mind yet but will keep reading about both and will evantually decide)

For now, I just have few quick questions regarding going BB.

#1) Do I need to paint the bottom of my tank (if I do not get starboard) or is putting the plywood under the tank enough?

#2) since eggcrate is a no no in BB (due to detritus accumulation) how can I ensure that my rock work will be stable without scratching the bottom of my glass tank?

#3) Most BB system I see on MR (via gallery) have 2 MPs for water/detritus flow. But both of them are usually placed in the upper 1/2 of the tank. How do you guys get the detrituas on the bottom not to settle then?

Thanks all

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
#1) It's personal preference. If you're not doing starboard, then just paint the bottom of the tank black
#2) Very carefully. Use some sort of rod and drilling technique to hold rocks together to form stable structures, there are a ton of ways you can go.
#3) The undertow from vortechs is really strong, coupled with the random flow not much is going to settle. I still like putting astrong powerhead at the bottom of the tank for some extra flow along the bottom.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I am really not here to start a debate over BB vs DSB. That has been done plenty of times already. (No, I have not made up my mind yet but will keep reading about both and will evantually decide)

For now, I just have few quick questions regarding going BB.

#1) Do I need to paint the bottom of my tank (if I do not get starboard) or is putting the plywood under the tank enough?

#2) since eggcrate is a no no in BB (due to detritus accumulation) how can I ensure that my rock work will be stable without scratching the bottom of my glass tank?

#3) Most BB system I see on MR (via gallery) have 2 MPs for water/detritus flow. But both of them are usually placed in the upper 1/2 of the tank. How do you guys get the detrituas on the bottom not to settle then?

Thanks all

1- You could paint the bottom of the tank so you don't see what is under it.
2- Eggcrate would not stabilize the rock, and no you don't want to use it anyhow. I don't think many folk worry about whether it bottom glass on a tank is scratched. You do want to make sure your rocks fit together well and if they don't, you can use epoxy to attached the rocks to each other. Cable ties can also be helpful.
3-While it all depends on the flow pattern of the power-heads you are using, if pointed at each other from opposite ends of the tank, they are creating a random pattern of flow in the middle of the tank where they collide. Some folks also place another power-head behind their aquascaping to keep the detritus from settling back there. A hand help p/h is also useful for blowing any out from under the rock prior to a water change.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
As far as rock stacking goes take your time. Make sure its stable and cant be moved or disturbed by anything you place in that tank. I dont have starboard under mine but i have two very large rocks as my base layer. An stacked on top o them with no issues. I didnt paint the bottom o the tank but with i did now.

Archreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 72.7%
8   3   0
I just set mine up BB about 2 moths ago. I took my time with the rock work, and am running one 6095 Tunze at the moment. Just before a WC I tank a turkey baster and blow under the rock work, but not much comes out. As for painting the bottom I wouldn't worry. You get a mirror effect so you can't see under unless you look straight down. Mine is getting a good coat of coraline growth of pinks and purples so looking down won't be an issue soon.

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks all. Im really leaning towards BB DT and DSB (using miracle mud) in the fuge. I used to have a DSB and what a filth it became after about 1 1/2 years. want to avoid that again.

thanks for all the input..
I gotta make a new build thread for my 75, cuz Im about to get started :party:

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Regarding rocks, I heard something recently about a guy whose bottom glass had broken due to heavy rocks apparently. Aka the sand might help with spreading the weight of the rocks around.

Remember that pressure is a function of weight and the surface of the contact area. Aka it increases as weight increases, and as surface decreases. So if you want to create structures like arches, make sure the "feet" are made out of rock that are has "flat" as possible in their lower side.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: